Family trek in the Peloponnese mountains
Experience a walking and sightseeing nature-filled adventure tour in the mountains of Arcadia in the heart of the Peloponnese. This fantastic wooded area with beautiful traditional stone villages is rich in history and legends that have inspired European art and literature over the centuries with the phrase “Et in Arcadia ego”. The trip will take you hiking around Mount Mainalon along a lovely old trail that connects the village of Elati to that of Vytina. Walk on the shadowed paths of the dense fir forest, passing by the acropolis hill of the ancient arcadian city of Methydrion and following the Mylaon Stream in a spectacular gorge. Visit the villages of Dimitsana and Stemnitsa, considered stone-built gems in this part of the Peloponnese.
Stemnitsa is a traditional silversmiths’ town, a picturesque historical village with stone-built mansions and typical paved alleys, overlooking the high cliffs of the Lousios Gorge. It is built on the site of the ancient Arcadian city of Hypsus at an altitude of 1080 meters (3550 feet). Dimitsana is another picturesque historical town on the opposite side of Lousios Gorge and is the liveliest village of this mountainous region, known as Gortynia. You can also visit the stunning monasteries of Prodromos and of the Philosopher, nested on the vertical cliffs of the Lousios Gorge. Also worth visiting is the open-air hydropower museum which sheds light on the region’s industrial past. Mount Mainalon is considered a protected ecosystem with rich biodiversity, part the NATURA 2000 European network.
- Hiking from Elati to Vytina, 3.5 hours, easy to moderate
- Recommended for those who are physically fit
- Suitable for families with children over 5 years of age
- Equipment: hiking boots (or at least good sport shoes), hiking sticks (very useful), day-use backpack, raincoat. Depending on the season additional equipment may be recommended.
- Visit to Dimitsana and Stemnitsa
- All transfers in private vehicle
- Accommodation: 2 nights in traditional family-run hotel in Vytina
- Good Greek breakfast
- Professional liability insurance
- VAT 24% and all taxes
- Dinner in the hotel
- Single room or triple room
- Visits of Monasteries and the hydropwer museum
- Entrance ticket to the hydropower museum
- Personal travel insurance
- Snacks, drinks, tips
- A self-guided/self-drive version of this tour is available, complete with a detailed roadbook and 24/7 emergency contact
- Option to add days for further trekking or sightseeing
- Option to combine with visit to Ancient Olympia and/or stay by the sea