For a quick eco-friendly holiday destination near Athens, you might want to consider Agistri, the gorgeous small island in the Saronic Gulf.
Agistri, known in ancient times as Kekrifalia, is one of the islands of the Saronic Gulf, along with Poros, Aegina, Spetses, and Hydra. The island, which can even be visited on a day trip, is a paradise for nature lovers. Here are some ecotourism ideas on Agistri that you can consider:
- Cycling and hiking: Agistri has a network of trails that connect its villages and beaches, passing through pine forests and hills with panoramic views. You can rent a bike or join a guided tour and explore the island at your own pace. You will discover hidden gems like Chalikiada beach, Metochi village and Aponissos bay. Cycling and hiking are great ways to reduce your carbon footprint and appreciate the natural beauty of Agistri.
- Kayaking and canoeing: If you prefer to explore the island from the water, you can rent a kayak or a canoe and paddle along the coast. You will see stunning rock formations, caves and coves, as well as marine life like fish, sea turtles and dolphins. You can also join a kayak adventure tour that will take you to nearby islands like Aegina, Moni and Metopi. Kayaking and canoeing are low-impact activities that will help you connect with nature and have fun.
- Scuba diving and snorkeling: Agistri is a diver's paradise, with clear waters and diverse underwater landscapes. You can dive into wrecks, reefs, walls and caves, and see colorful corals, sponges, starfish and octopuses. You can also snorkel in shallow waters and enjoy the same beauty. You can find diving centers in Skala and Megalochori that offer courses, equipment rental and guided dives for all levels. Scuba diving and snorkeling are eco-friendly activities that will allow you to discover the amazing marine life of Agistri.
- Horse riding: Another way to experience the nature of Agistri is by riding a horse. You can take horse riding lessons or join a horseback tour that will take you through the forest, the hills and the beach. You will also bond with your horse and learn how to care for it. While horse riding is an activity that will make you feel closer to nature and animals, please enquire about the horses' welfare and that they're being cared for properly.
- Sailing: The Saronic is a quieter part of the sea and close to Athens, Methana and Aegina. You can explore Agistri with a sailboat chartered from Athens, demonstrating a really fun and very sustainable way of exploring the maritime "neighborhood".
These are just some examples of ecotourism activities on Agistri that you can enjoy during your stay on this beautiful island. By choosing these activities, you won't only enjoy a great holiday, but also support the local economy and environment. Agistri is waiting for you to discover its natural wonders!