Here's an opportunity to totally immerse yourself in the amazing landscape of mountains, forests, lakes and rivers. Drama is located in the region of Macedonia and Thrace, and boasts a rich biodiversity and heritage that will captivate the soul of all nature lovers. You must explore the virgin forests of the Rodopi mountain range, which cover 70% of the area and host a variety of flora and fauna. You can also hike along the European E6 trail or the many local forest trails that offer stunning views of waterfalls, birch trees and Macedonian pine. Drama is not only a paradise for nature lovers, but also for wine enthusiasts. The region is famous for its vineyards and wineries, where you can taste some of the finest Greek wines and learn about their history and production. Drama is also home to some cultural and historical attractions, such as the archaeological site of Philippi, the Byzantine walls of Drama, the Agia Varvara cave and the Folklore Museum. This is an excellent ecotourism destination by all accounts that will surprise you with its natural beauty and uniqueness.
Here are some more ideas that will set you on the path to enjoying the region of Drama at its best:
- Visit the Agia Varvara springs with crystal clear water and a beautiful park with ducks, cats and fish.
- Explore the Elati Forest, a lush evergreen forest with hiking trails and scenic views.
- Admire the Monastery of Holy Mary Eikosifoinissa, a Byzantine monastery with a rich history and a stunning location on the slopes of Mount Paggaio.
- Learn about the ancient and more recent history of Drama at the Archaeological Museum of Drama, which displays artifacts from prehistoric times to the Ottoman era.
- Taste the local wines at the Château Nico Lazaridi Winery, which also features an art gallery and a ranch-style building in the heart of the vineyards.
- Climb the Koryvolos Mountain, which offers panoramic views of Drama and its surroundings.
- Marvel at the Skalotis waterfall, which cascades down from a height of 70 meters into a rocky gorge.
- Visit the wildlife at the Park of Birds of Prey - Diurnal & Nocturnal Birds (Parko Arpaktikon Imerovion & Niktovion Ptinon), a park that hosts nocturnal and diurnal birds of prey such as owls, eagles and falcons.