Katafigio is a village within Itamos township. On the forest road from Katafigi going towards Ayios Athanasios Lampero, is the Monastery of the Rock of Katafigio at an altitude of 600 meters. Uninhabited today, this monastery dates from 1553. It is like those of Mount Athos in type, built as a crossed four-pillared church with a portico on the western side and two interior spaces. The monastery is one of the most important monuments of the area: the altar screen, original wall paintings and the proscenium are preserved.
The monastery was ruined in 1900, but came into use again between 1920 and 1930. Its buildings underwent many changes, the latest being the demolition of the 80 monks’ cells in 1968. According to legend, the original icons of the monastery were found by the rocky promontory next to the monastery, which is where its name came from. These icons are today on display at the cathedral in Karditsa.
Katafigio 431 00, Greece