The Frankish fortification known as “Potiri Castle” gets its name from its cylindrical shape (Potiri means glass in Greek). Originally built by the Byzantines, it was overtaken by the Franks in 1205.
A knight by the name of Likarios led the fight and overtook Potiri and the rest of the castles within Evia, with the exception of Halkida. Byzantine rule here lasted until Likarios left the area and the Franks took back their rule of the area. That ended in 1470, the same year that Potiri Castle was destroyed by the Turks, who kept Evia under their control for over the next 350 years. Today, large sections of walls, former dwellings and wells can be seen throughout the site which lies southeast of the village Avlonari.