Monastery of the Holy Cross (Timiou Stavrou)

Originally built in 1582 by the monks Neilos and Dyionisios, the main part of the church is a large, three-aisled basilica with a round dome: its north aisle is dedicated to the Well of Life, the middle aisle to the Holy Cross and the south aisle to Saint John the Baptist. The Monastery, which took its current form in 1838, is famous for its distinctive carved iconostasis, which was painted by artisans from Chios in 1854, and an impressive pulpit. Among the collection of religious relicts of the monastery is the fragment of the Holy Cross.

Contact us: nature (at)