The monastery of St. Nicolas can be found in the area of Limnioniza and was built sometime between 1675 and 1724. It features a Byzantine design with an octagonal bell tower and enjoyed a period of great influence following the Greek revolution of 1821. By the 1940s however, the monastery had fallen into disrepair and was eventually abandoned after the last priest, blessed Aresenios Vetimis, passed away. Renovation began under the auspices of the Greek Orthodox Church in 1983, when it was converted into a woman’s convent, and today it has been completely refurbished.
Moni Agiou Nikolaou, Hydra 180 40, Greece