Within the Fortress of Its Kale stands this impressive mosque. Its current structure was commissioned by Ali Pasha in 1795 to replace the older version built 1430 on top of the ruins of an old Byzantine Church. A later version of the mosque was built to commemorate the defeat of a peasant uprising lead by Dionysius “the philosopher” in 1611. The graves of Ali Pasha and his family can be found in the courtyard in front of the mosque.
Ioannina 452 21 Greece