Between the Aghios Nikolaos of Flabourio and the sandy coast of Limnionas, at the edge of Veneto-Old Mitzela, small and large caves are found within the coastal rocks.
Some of these, known by the ancient Greeks as ‘Ipnoi’, have stalactites where wild pigeons and seals nestle. This maritime spot was written about by Herodotus, who described the destruction of Xerxes’ largest fleet there in 480 B.C. The Despot’s Cave, named thus because it was regularly visited by Archbishop Dimitriados Grigorios in 1905, is the most well-known amongst them and is large enough for a fishing boat to enter through.
Paralia Limnionas, 370 12, Greece