One of the two ports of Knossos, Middle Minoan (c1900 BC) artifacts have been found here. Mentioned on Linear B tablets as A-Mi-Ni-So, and connected with the cults of Zeus and Eileithya. The hill above (known as Palaichora) has uncovered the finds of the ‘Villa of the Lillies’. The area was occupied all the way through to later Roman times (2nd C. AD), and again during the Venetian period (1204-1669) before being destoyed during the Ottoman period (1669-1898). An incredibly important Linear B tablet, has offerings of honey to Eileithya at Amnisos, confirming the names of both the port, and the goddess.
Archeologikos Choros Amnisos, Amnisos Irakliou, Karteros 715 00, Greece
+30 2810 226470