Attractions In Viotia

Explore The Attractions Of Viotia
Agios Giorgos Lakas, Kyriaki
Central Greece / Viotia

The church of Aghios Georgios Lakas in Kyriaki, built in the 12th century over another more ancient temple destroyed by an earthquake, is now represented with a more recent structure after the Ottomans destroyed it a couple of centuries back.

Agios Nikolaos Distomo
Central Greece / Viotia

In the upper central square of Distomo, the temple of Agios Nikolaos took almost 30 years to be completed (1880 to 1908). It is said that Queen Olga donated the bell of the church’s belfry. Note the sculptured icon screen which is a masterpiece in itself.

Agios Thomas cave
Central Greece / Viotia

Near the village of Agios Thomas there is a cave with two holes of different diameters. The depth of the cave hasn’t been surveyed so far. You can approach the cave on the way to the church of Profitis Elias. The upper part of the cave, referring to the gaping hole, is referred to as Stefani (wreath) by the locals.

Aliartos
Central Greece / Viotia

Near the dusty modern town of Aliartos lies an acropolis of mixed origins. The Mycenaean part lies on the hill, with more modern buildings from the 7th century BC to its north. Two towers from the 6th-5th centuries BC remain, with parts of a temple dedicated to the goddess Athena. Coins from around 500 BC were found here, as well as a cemetery dating from the Roman period.

Ancient Krefsis
Central Greece / Viotia

Ancient Krefsis boasted once an acropolis against mount Korombili with venerable towers and walls. Parts of the complex remains, including a wall and parts of the towers from the 4th century BC. Much later another medieval tower was built, dating from the 14th century AD and was called Erimokastro or desert castle.

Archaeological Collection of Thespies
Central Greece / Viotia

This collection is found in the town hall of the Thespies, where many findings are presented such as those from the archaeological area of the ancient city by the same name, architectural parts of the ancient city’s buildings, sculptures of classical years, and remains from the archaic and the roman years.

Archaeological Museum of Chaironeia
Central Greece / Viotia

Important sculptures from Livadia and Chaironia such as Demeter, Kyveli, a portrait of emperor Hadrian, a stone sphere with reliefs of the sun and moon, and Athena Kranaia can be seen at the museum. There are also ceramics from pre-historic locales around the area, including Mycenaean murals from Orchomenos, weapons and coins from Macedonia and a Theban tomb from the area. Recently more findings from roman, classical and Hellenic times have enriched the museum’s solid collection. Note the fine inscriptions and headstones from the area, and a tomb with a mosaic floor and many other interesting finds.

Archaeological Museum of Delphi
Central Greece / Fokida

One of the most important museums in the country, displaying the history of Delphi and its powerful oracle. Stunning statues, architectural sculpture and gifts to the sanctuary are exhibited. They reflect the political, religious and artistic values of people around Ancient Greece and beyond from the 8th century BC until the late antique period. The greatest finds in this museum include the bronze charioteer from the 5th century BC, the gold and ivory heads of Artemis and Apollo, and the Roman copy of the Navel of the World (another name for Delphi).

Archaeological Museum of Schimatari
Central Greece / Viotia

Constructed in 1890, this is the earliest museum in Viotia. It contains findings from the cemeteries of Tanagra or which had been retrieved in the field, and also finds from the first excavations conducted by the Archaeological Society. A large number of grave stelae where practically the only remains from illegal excavations. The exquisite clay figurines were smuggled outside the country in the early 1870s. Today the recently renovated museum reveals the art of Tanagra over time, important inscriptions and objects from prehistoric times to the early Christian period.

Archaeological Museum of Thebes
Central Greece / Viotia

Rare collections from around Viotia outline local civilization from Palaeolithic to post-Byzantine eras. There is also a medieval Frankish tower in the museum’s courtyard, once part of a castle erected by Nicholas II de Saint Omer, Archon of Thebes in 1278. The city’s northern gates may have stood at the very spot.

Askri in Thespies
Central Greece / Viotia

A defence tower dating back to the 4th century BC and part of more important fortifications are well preserved in Askri. The tower is said to be built by the people of Thespies to keep an eye on the Thebans, not long before the battle of Lefktra which took place in 371 BC.

Castle and Church of Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

There is a castle in Davlia with remains of a Byzantine church in the form of some columns. The church was apparently built on the foundations of another ancient temple dedicated to Polias Athena.

Castle and tower of Tarsus
Central Greece / Viotia

In Tarsus you can visit the castle and tower of Tarsus, where remains of fortifications allude to a much larger acropolis on the northern side of the hill. Some 300 meters below this point lies the tower, which was connected to the acropolis in the past.

Castle of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Considered one of the four Catalan castles in Greece, the Castle of Livadia on the hill of Agios Elias dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. The Catalans occupied the city from 1309 to 1380. A long walls weaves itself steeply around the castle until it joins an important tower. There is a little church inside that was built in later times, purportedly on a site where a temple dedicated to Zeus stood. Take a walk from the castle through the walls to enjoy the magnificent view of the gorge of Krya.

Churches of Arahova
Central Greece / Viotia

The Byzantine church of Agios Giorgios built with ancient materials offers great views. The church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary with its clock sits high on a large rock. The old temple was built in 1676 while the modern church was built in 1821, containing the relics of Agios Charalambos.

Clock tower of Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

Not far from the village of Davlia, the four watermills stand witness to the prosperity of the area in history. Well preserved until now, the mills mechanisms and wheel are interesting to observe.

Clock tower of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Although the tower was built during the Frankish era, the clock was donated by Lord Elgin in 1803 in exchange for being able to undertake archaeological excavations in the vicinity to find the mysterious oracle of Trofonios.

Dark past of Distomo
Central Greece / Viotia

In Karakolithos outside the town of Distomo lies a monument alluding to sombre times, where 134 citizens where executed in April 1944 by the Nazis for their resistance to occupation.

Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

South of Davlia lie the ruins of the acropolis of ancient Davlia. Walls from the 4th century BC can be seen, with the base of these walls dating much further back to the Pelasgic era. Evidence of a tower belonging to the walls can be seen, as well as another tower built in medieval times is also on the site.

Distomo
Central Greece / Viotia

The prehistoric fortress of Distomo in Kastri dates back from Pelasgic times, i.e. ‘pre-Greek’ civilization. Ruins of a settlement and tombs from this era can be seen. Parts of the ancient wall of Amvrisos in the area can also be seen, as well as a royal tomb sculpted in the rock.

Distomo Archaeological Collection
Central Greece / Viotia

The ancient Phocean city of Ambrossos, located now where Distomo is and beyond, features many findings from the Mycenaean up to the Early Christian era. The findings are on display at the old primary school, a preserved stone building from 1903. There’s also a photo exhibition from the Nazi massacre in 1944.

Donakes in Xironomi
Central Greece / Viotia

In the small village of Xironomi there are remains from the old settlement of Donakes, where stone foundations, construction and mosaics have been found. The latter has been safely transferred to the Museum of Thebes.

Flygonio in Kyriaki
Central Greece / Viotia

In place of Kyriaki there used to be an ancient city named Flygonio, which means gushing water. This city allowed control of routes connecting the mountain settlements with coastal roads of Elikonas. The Macedionian Philippos V reputedly destroyed the city around 350 BC although it managed to survive as recently as the 6th century AD when an earthquake wiped it off the map. Only traces of the acropolis of Flygonio remain, mostly walls and foundations of some buildings. Nonetheless, those who want to travel to the past or are fans of archaeology will find the site interesting.

Gla
Central Greece / Viotia

When western engineers were called to drain the Lake Kopais in the late 1800s to reclaim more fertile land, they were met with a mysterious set of huge canals and dykes, which showed that the lake had been drained before in the past. Therein lies the mystery of Gla…

Historical and Ethnological Museum, Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

The old factory in Maglara features a watermill, flour mill and cotton gin. Locals used to wash their woven carpets there as well. The museum now displays tools and household objects from yesteryear, used for weaving, farming, etc. One room shows the works of writer and historian Takis Lappas who hails from Livadia.

Kokkinovrahos
Central Greece / Viotia

Meaning Red Rock in English, Kokkinovrahos on mount Akontio is home to two ‘undiscovered’ caves that are said to be quite impressive.

Koronia the Nymph
Central Greece / Viotia

The cave of Koronia the Nymph lies to the west of Agia Triada. Its chamber is about 8 meters by 10 meters with an opening in the roof. Evidence points to the cave being used as a holy site dedicated to the nymphs, with different sculpted objects, offerings and vessels having been found there.

Korsies near Prodromos
Central Greece / Viotia

Near Prodromos on the way to Saranti there are ruins of an ancient settlement called Korsies from the 6th century BC. The ruins there hail from archaic, classical and Hellenistic years, most notably a temple dedicated to Hera, as well as evidence of ancient spinning wheels.

Korykio Antro
Central Greece / Viotia

About 10 kilometres from Arahova, the cave of Korykio Antro is said to be both a natural wonder and an archaeological treasure. In ancient times it was dedicated to the nymphs of Korykio and the god Panas, as well as being considered the passage to Hades.

Lykouresi Monastery and churches, Cheronia
Central Greece / Viotia

Mystery shrouds the origins of the Monastery of Lykouresi, with some saying it dates back to the 17th century and others saying as far back as the 15th century. There is a library, congress and an eco-farm connected to the monastery. On the road from Cheronia to the monastery are the churches of Agios Apostolos and Agia Paraskevi. Near the gully of the river Moros there is the church of Agios Charalambos. Agios Georgios in the mountain of Thourio is interesting and Agios Dimitrios near the Kifissos river. There is a church in the abandoned village of Karamousa. Lastly, the Temple of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros (Transfiguration) dates back to 1863, although the monolithic columns that support the dome of the temple date back to the Palaeo-Christian era.

Monastery of Agion Theodoron
Central Greece / Viotia

The Monastery of Agion Theodoron – today with a library and two temples of Osios David and Osios Ieronimos – was built on a rock with a superb view of the Gulf of Corinth. Evidence shows that it this particular locale was inhabited as far back as the 7th century BC.

Monastery of Evaggelistria
Central Greece / Viotia

Some 12 kilometres away from Aliartos lies the monastery of Evaggelistria dating from the 12th or 13th century in a natural haven. The chapel of Agios Giorgios built in 1880 lies in the centre of what is now a women’s monastery, complete with a textile workshop and a congress hall.

Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin – Jerusalem, Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

This historical monastery was founded in 1088 AC and may have existed before that. Two more recent temples were built on the site after fires and earthquake of 1870 destroyed the original. The Klephts (rebels) fought the Ottomans from this monastery, who eventually destroyed it in return as well.

Monument of Oedipus
Central Greece / Viotia

In Davlia – on the road from Davlia to Distomo – there is a monument that attests to the presence of the old Schiste (Shisti) road where Oedipus supposedly killed his father Laios. Sophocles, Pausinias and others mentioned the existence of this road that leads to the Oracle of Delphi.

Museum of Old Professions in Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Delve into the heritage of this area through this delightful museum which showcases the professions of the previous century, as well as the tools and equipment used. Professions such as baking, sewing, fishing, painting, shop-keeping, coffee-making, lottery-selling, cake selling, music playing, ice-cream vending, shoe mending and many other now defunct professions can be understood and explored at this museum. A true foray into a forgotten past…

Orhomenos
Central Greece / Viotia

At Orhomenos there is a vaulted Mycenaean tomb dubbed as the Treasury of Minyas, as well as an ancient acropolis with remains of a theatre (Odeum), temple and other edifices. The monuments of Minyas, built during the 2nd millennium BC and discovered by Heinrich Schliemann in the 1880s, are quite impressive. The Odeum lies at the foot of mount Yfantio to the north of the arched tomb of Minyas, chiselled from the rock with 12 rows of seats. There are inscriptions of the music festivals around the site which was very popular with musicians and dramatists as far as Italy and Asia Minor some 2,500 years ago. It is still used for festivals today. The spring of the Three Graces (Treis Charites) also known as the Akidalia fountain, lies near the springs of the Melana river and is also worth seeing. There are also excavations in the area from Neolithic settlements, including square and circular foundations of houses, palaces, a sanctuary dedicated to Asclepius from Mycenaean times and tombs that are over 5,000 years old.

Osios Loukas
Central Greece / Viotia

The historic venerable monastery of Osios Loukas (Hosios Lukas) at the slopes of mount Elikonas was founded in the early 10th century by the hermit Saint Loukas, whose relics are preserved in the monastery until today. Saint Loukas was actually a military saint who prophesized the re-conquest of Crete.

Panagia Kalamiotissa
Central Greece / Viotia

The Church of Panagia Kalamiotissa near a little port on the Gulf of Corinth was home to Osios Loukas for many years. The little church of Osios Nikitas on the south side of Mount Elikonas, dates back to the 12 century, housing the saint himself who lived and prayed all his life in the church.

Papakonstantinou Estate, Schimatari
Central Greece / Viotia

On the border between Attica and Viotia, father and son of the Papakonstantinou family have been producing, preserving and bottling wine of different grape varieties such as Savatiano and Roditis (White), Cabarnet Sauvignon, Grenache Rouge, Merlot and Syrah (Red). Rose and resin wines (Retsina) are also produced.

Saint Catherine and Saint Lucas in Thiva
Central Greece / Viotia

If you’re in Thiva visit the catacombs of the early Christian churches of Saint Catherine and Saint Luke the Evangelist. The latter lies in the town’s first cemetery where you also find a sarcophagus which is supposed to hold the saint’s body, dating from the 13th century.

Samartzis Bros Co.
Central Greece / Viotia

Deeper in Viotia the vineyards and wines of Askri (or Askre) are also considered superb. There is a wine factory in Askri that you can visit and vineyards as well. The Samartzis Bros Co. produces wine made of Chardonnay, Cabarnet Sauvignon, Roditis Moschofilero and many other varieties.

Sifes near Alyki
Central Greece / Viotia

The coastal archaeological site of Sifes lies on the eastern side of the bay of Domvrena near the village of Alyki. A fortified wall in decent condition from the 4th century BC has been preserved, plus parts of 6 towers and 3 gates, with the main one next to the beach. Ceramics from various eras have been found too.

Stone Fountains, Viotia
Central Greece / Viotia

Many beautiful water fountains built of stone embellish the villages and underline the strong relationship that the residence have with this precious resource. Village life organized itself around these fountains, which slowly lost their true significance after municipal water was extended to the homes. The older fountains featured basins sculpted of stone so people could drink from them, with a lower base for animals. Today passersby and travellers can still drink from these crystal waters which derive straight from Parnassos.

Thebes and environs
Central Greece / Viotia

Ancient Thebes figures well in both Greek history and Greek mythology. Its past glory may not be reflected in the modern town of Thebes – or Thiva – today, but there is an excellent archaeological museum there are some sites to visit. These include the remains of the Temple of Ismenios Apollo, a few Mycenaean tombs, the spring of Agii Theodori (Fountain of Oedipus) and the Frankish aqueduct with the fountain of Dirki. Some 18 kilometres away from Thebes is the archaeological site of Plataiai. Other sites near Thiva include Lefktra, Gla and its Mycenaean Acropolis on Mount Ptoon, Tanagra which is known for its terra cotta figurines, and other sites such as Dilessi, Vathi of Avlida and Dliessi.

Thisvi Kakosia
Central Greece / Viotia

Ancient Thisvi has ruins in Kakosia, which was inhabited as far back as 2000 BC. There are remains from the Mycenaean era such as a vaulted tomb as well as some parts of the acropolis, found on Paleokastro (Old Castle) hill.

Transfiguration Church in Panagia
Central Greece / Viotia

Near Askri in the village of Panagia with is vineyards the church of the Transfiguration of the Saviour (Metamorphosis tou Sotiros in Greek) may date back to tend of the 9th century. The church was constructed using materials from more ancient structures in the area.

Valley of Muses
Central Greece / Viotia

A theatre from the 3rd century BC has been found here, including an altar for the muses and a gallery for votive offerings made to them. Only a few ruins remain from the grand past of this area, although some of the pedestals belonging to the statues of the muses were transferred to the museum of Thiva.

Walls at Koronia
Central Greece / Viotia

The polygon shaped walls of Koronia stand witness to a once important fortress dating back to classical times, known as Tilfousion and situated atop Paliothiva or old Thiva. A medieval tower remains on the north side of the hill.

Watermill of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Built at the turn of the 20the century to mill flour, the watermill has been completely restored and represents a cultural beacon, as part of a cultural centre and exhibition space.

Aliartos
Central Greece / Viotia

Near the dusty modern town of Aliartos lies an acropolis of mixed origins. The Mycenaean part lies on the hill, with more modern buildings from the 7th century BC to its north. Two towers from the 6th-5th centuries BC remain, with parts of a temple dedicated to the goddess Athena. Coins from around 500 BC were found here, as well as a cemetery dating from the Roman period.

Ancient Krefsis
Central Greece / Viotia

Ancient Krefsis boasted once an acropolis against mount Korombili with venerable towers and walls. Parts of the complex remains, including a wall and parts of the towers from the 4th century BC. Much later another medieval tower was built, dating from the 14th century AD and was called Erimokastro or desert castle.

Archaeological Collection of Thespies
Central Greece / Viotia

This collection is found in the town hall of the Thespies, where many findings are presented such as those from the archaeological area of the ancient city by the same name, architectural parts of the ancient city’s buildings, sculptures of classical years, and remains from the archaic and the roman years.

Archaeological Museum of Chaironeia
Central Greece / Viotia

Important sculptures from Livadia and Chaironia such as Demeter, Kyveli, a portrait of emperor Hadrian, a stone sphere with reliefs of the sun and moon, and Athena Kranaia can be seen at the museum. There are also ceramics from pre-historic locales around the area, including Mycenaean murals from Orchomenos, weapons and coins from Macedonia and a Theban tomb from the area. Recently more findings from roman, classical and Hellenic times have enriched the museum’s solid collection. Note the fine inscriptions and headstones from the area, and a tomb with a mosaic floor and many other interesting finds.

Archaeological Museum of Delphi
Central Greece / Fokida

One of the most important museums in the country, displaying the history of Delphi and its powerful oracle. Stunning statues, architectural sculpture and gifts to the sanctuary are exhibited. They reflect the political, religious and artistic values of people around Ancient Greece and beyond from the 8th century BC until the late antique period. The greatest finds in this museum include the bronze charioteer from the 5th century BC, the gold and ivory heads of Artemis and Apollo, and the Roman copy of the Navel of the World (another name for Delphi).

Archaeological Museum of Schimatari
Central Greece / Viotia

Constructed in 1890, this is the earliest museum in Viotia. It contains findings from the cemeteries of Tanagra or which had been retrieved in the field, and also finds from the first excavations conducted by the Archaeological Society. A large number of grave stelae where practically the only remains from illegal excavations. The exquisite clay figurines were smuggled outside the country in the early 1870s. Today the recently renovated museum reveals the art of Tanagra over time, important inscriptions and objects from prehistoric times to the early Christian period.

Archaeological Museum of Thebes
Central Greece / Viotia

Rare collections from around Viotia outline local civilization from Palaeolithic to post-Byzantine eras. There is also a medieval Frankish tower in the museum’s courtyard, once part of a castle erected by Nicholas II de Saint Omer, Archon of Thebes in 1278. The city’s northern gates may have stood at the very spot.

Askri in Thespies
Central Greece / Viotia

A defence tower dating back to the 4th century BC and part of more important fortifications are well preserved in Askri. The tower is said to be built by the people of Thespies to keep an eye on the Thebans, not long before the battle of Lefktra which took place in 371 BC.

Clock tower of Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

Not far from the village of Davlia, the four watermills stand witness to the prosperity of the area in history. Well preserved until now, the mills mechanisms and wheel are interesting to observe.

Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

South of Davlia lie the ruins of the acropolis of ancient Davlia. Walls from the 4th century BC can be seen, with the base of these walls dating much further back to the Pelasgic era. Evidence of a tower belonging to the walls can be seen, as well as another tower built in medieval times is also on the site.

Distomo
Central Greece / Viotia

The prehistoric fortress of Distomo in Kastri dates back from Pelasgic times, i.e. ‘pre-Greek’ civilization. Ruins of a settlement and tombs from this era can be seen. Parts of the ancient wall of Amvrisos in the area can also be seen, as well as a royal tomb sculpted in the rock.

Donakes in Xironomi
Central Greece / Viotia

In the small village of Xironomi there are remains from the old settlement of Donakes, where stone foundations, construction and mosaics have been found. The latter has been safely transferred to the Museum of Thebes.

Flygonio in Kyriaki
Central Greece / Viotia

In place of Kyriaki there used to be an ancient city named Flygonio, which means gushing water. This city allowed control of routes connecting the mountain settlements with coastal roads of Elikonas. The Macedionian Philippos V reputedly destroyed the city around 350 BC although it managed to survive as recently as the 6th century AD when an earthquake wiped it off the map. Only traces of the acropolis of Flygonio remain, mostly walls and foundations of some buildings. Nonetheless, those who want to travel to the past or are fans of archaeology will find the site interesting.

Gla
Central Greece / Viotia

When western engineers were called to drain the Lake Kopais in the late 1800s to reclaim more fertile land, they were met with a mysterious set of huge canals and dykes, which showed that the lake had been drained before in the past. Therein lies the mystery of Gla…

Korsies near Prodromos
Central Greece / Viotia

Near Prodromos on the way to Saranti there are ruins of an ancient settlement called Korsies from the 6th century BC. The ruins there hail from archaic, classical and Hellenistic years, most notably a temple dedicated to Hera, as well as evidence of ancient spinning wheels.

Orhomenos
Central Greece / Viotia

At Orhomenos there is a vaulted Mycenaean tomb dubbed as the Treasury of Minyas, as well as an ancient acropolis with remains of a theatre (Odeum), temple and other edifices. The monuments of Minyas, built during the 2nd millennium BC and discovered by Heinrich Schliemann in the 1880s, are quite impressive. The Odeum lies at the foot of mount Yfantio to the north of the arched tomb of Minyas, chiselled from the rock with 12 rows of seats. There are inscriptions of the music festivals around the site which was very popular with musicians and dramatists as far as Italy and Asia Minor some 2,500 years ago. It is still used for festivals today. The spring of the Three Graces (Treis Charites) also known as the Akidalia fountain, lies near the springs of the Melana river and is also worth seeing. There are also excavations in the area from Neolithic settlements, including square and circular foundations of houses, palaces, a sanctuary dedicated to Asclepius from Mycenaean times and tombs that are over 5,000 years old.

Sifes near Alyki
Central Greece / Viotia

The coastal archaeological site of Sifes lies on the eastern side of the bay of Domvrena near the village of Alyki. A fortified wall in decent condition from the 4th century BC has been preserved, plus parts of 6 towers and 3 gates, with the main one next to the beach. Ceramics from various eras have been found too.

Thebes and environs
Central Greece / Viotia

Ancient Thebes figures well in both Greek history and Greek mythology. Its past glory may not be reflected in the modern town of Thebes – or Thiva – today, but there is an excellent archaeological museum there are some sites to visit. These include the remains of the Temple of Ismenios Apollo, a few Mycenaean tombs, the spring of Agii Theodori (Fountain of Oedipus) and the Frankish aqueduct with the fountain of Dirki. Some 18 kilometres away from Thebes is the archaeological site of Plataiai. Other sites near Thiva include Lefktra, Gla and its Mycenaean Acropolis on Mount Ptoon, Tanagra which is known for its terra cotta figurines, and other sites such as Dilessi, Vathi of Avlida and Dliessi.

Thisvi Kakosia
Central Greece / Viotia

Ancient Thisvi has ruins in Kakosia, which was inhabited as far back as 2000 BC. There are remains from the Mycenaean era such as a vaulted tomb as well as some parts of the acropolis, found on Paleokastro (Old Castle) hill.

Valley of Muses
Central Greece / Viotia

A theatre from the 3rd century BC has been found here, including an altar for the muses and a gallery for votive offerings made to them. Only a few ruins remain from the grand past of this area, although some of the pedestals belonging to the statues of the muses were transferred to the museum of Thiva.

Walls at Koronia
Central Greece / Viotia

The polygon shaped walls of Koronia stand witness to a once important fortress dating back to classical times, known as Tilfousion and situated atop Paliothiva or old Thiva. A medieval tower remains on the north side of the hill.

Castle and Church of Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

There is a castle in Davlia with remains of a Byzantine church in the form of some columns. The church was apparently built on the foundations of another ancient temple dedicated to Polias Athena.

Castle and tower of Tarsus
Central Greece / Viotia

In Tarsus you can visit the castle and tower of Tarsus, where remains of fortifications allude to a much larger acropolis on the northern side of the hill. Some 300 meters below this point lies the tower, which was connected to the acropolis in the past.

Castle of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Considered one of the four Catalan castles in Greece, the Castle of Livadia on the hill of Agios Elias dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. The Catalans occupied the city from 1309 to 1380. A long walls weaves itself steeply around the castle until it joins an important tower. There is a little church inside that was built in later times, purportedly on a site where a temple dedicated to Zeus stood. Take a walk from the castle through the walls to enjoy the magnificent view of the gorge of Krya.

Agios Thomas cave
Central Greece / Viotia

Near the village of Agios Thomas there is a cave with two holes of different diameters. The depth of the cave hasn’t been surveyed so far. You can approach the cave on the way to the church of Profitis Elias. The upper part of the cave, referring to the gaping hole, is referred to as Stefani (wreath) by the locals.

Kokkinovrahos
Central Greece / Viotia

Meaning Red Rock in English, Kokkinovrahos on mount Akontio is home to two ‘undiscovered’ caves that are said to be quite impressive.

Koronia the Nymph
Central Greece / Viotia

The cave of Koronia the Nymph lies to the west of Agia Triada. Its chamber is about 8 meters by 10 meters with an opening in the roof. Evidence points to the cave being used as a holy site dedicated to the nymphs, with different sculpted objects, offerings and vessels having been found there.

Korykio Antro
Central Greece / Viotia

About 10 kilometres from Arahova, the cave of Korykio Antro is said to be both a natural wonder and an archaeological treasure. In ancient times it was dedicated to the nymphs of Korykio and the god Panas, as well as being considered the passage to Hades.

Agios Giorgos Lakas, Kyriaki
Central Greece / Viotia

The church of Aghios Georgios Lakas in Kyriaki, built in the 12th century over another more ancient temple destroyed by an earthquake, is now represented with a more recent structure after the Ottomans destroyed it a couple of centuries back.

Agios Nikolaos Distomo
Central Greece / Viotia

In the upper central square of Distomo, the temple of Agios Nikolaos took almost 30 years to be completed (1880 to 1908). It is said that Queen Olga donated the bell of the church’s belfry. Note the sculptured icon screen which is a masterpiece in itself.

Castle and Church of Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

There is a castle in Davlia with remains of a Byzantine church in the form of some columns. The church was apparently built on the foundations of another ancient temple dedicated to Polias Athena.

Churches of Arahova
Central Greece / Viotia

The Byzantine church of Agios Giorgios built with ancient materials offers great views. The church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary with its clock sits high on a large rock. The old temple was built in 1676 while the modern church was built in 1821, containing the relics of Agios Charalambos.

Lykouresi Monastery and churches, Cheronia
Central Greece / Viotia

Mystery shrouds the origins of the Monastery of Lykouresi, with some saying it dates back to the 17th century and others saying as far back as the 15th century. There is a library, congress and an eco-farm connected to the monastery. On the road from Cheronia to the monastery are the churches of Agios Apostolos and Agia Paraskevi. Near the gully of the river Moros there is the church of Agios Charalambos. Agios Georgios in the mountain of Thourio is interesting and Agios Dimitrios near the Kifissos river. There is a church in the abandoned village of Karamousa. Lastly, the Temple of Metamorphosis tou Sotiros (Transfiguration) dates back to 1863, although the monolithic columns that support the dome of the temple date back to the Palaeo-Christian era.

Monastery of Agion Theodoron
Central Greece / Viotia

The Monastery of Agion Theodoron – today with a library and two temples of Osios David and Osios Ieronimos – was built on a rock with a superb view of the Gulf of Corinth. Evidence shows that it this particular locale was inhabited as far back as the 7th century BC.

Monastery of Evaggelistria
Central Greece / Viotia

Some 12 kilometres away from Aliartos lies the monastery of Evaggelistria dating from the 12th or 13th century in a natural haven. The chapel of Agios Giorgios built in 1880 lies in the centre of what is now a women’s monastery, complete with a textile workshop and a congress hall.

Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin – Jerusalem, Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

This historical monastery was founded in 1088 AC and may have existed before that. Two more recent temples were built on the site after fires and earthquake of 1870 destroyed the original. The Klephts (rebels) fought the Ottomans from this monastery, who eventually destroyed it in return as well.

Osios Loukas
Central Greece / Viotia

The historic venerable monastery of Osios Loukas (Hosios Lukas) at the slopes of mount Elikonas was founded in the early 10th century by the hermit Saint Loukas, whose relics are preserved in the monastery until today. Saint Loukas was actually a military saint who prophesized the re-conquest of Crete.

Panagia Kalamiotissa
Central Greece / Viotia

The Church of Panagia Kalamiotissa near a little port on the Gulf of Corinth was home to Osios Loukas for many years. The little church of Osios Nikitas on the south side of Mount Elikonas, dates back to the 12 century, housing the saint himself who lived and prayed all his life in the church.

Saint Catherine and Saint Lucas in Thiva
Central Greece / Viotia

If you’re in Thiva visit the catacombs of the early Christian churches of Saint Catherine and Saint Luke the Evangelist. The latter lies in the town’s first cemetery where you also find a sarcophagus which is supposed to hold the saint’s body, dating from the 13th century.

Transfiguration Church in Panagia
Central Greece / Viotia

Near Askri in the village of Panagia with is vineyards the church of the Transfiguration of the Saviour (Metamorphosis tou Sotiros in Greek) may date back to tend of the 9th century. The church was constructed using materials from more ancient structures in the area.

Clock tower of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Although the tower was built during the Frankish era, the clock was donated by Lord Elgin in 1803 in exchange for being able to undertake archaeological excavations in the vicinity to find the mysterious oracle of Trofonios.

Dark past of Distomo
Central Greece / Viotia

In Karakolithos outside the town of Distomo lies a monument alluding to sombre times, where 134 citizens where executed in April 1944 by the Nazis for their resistance to occupation.

Monument of Oedipus
Central Greece / Viotia

In Davlia – on the road from Davlia to Distomo – there is a monument that attests to the presence of the old Schiste (Shisti) road where Oedipus supposedly killed his father Laios. Sophocles, Pausinias and others mentioned the existence of this road that leads to the Oracle of Delphi.

Stone Fountains, Viotia
Central Greece / Viotia

Many beautiful water fountains built of stone embellish the villages and underline the strong relationship that the residence have with this precious resource. Village life organized itself around these fountains, which slowly lost their true significance after municipal water was extended to the homes. The older fountains featured basins sculpted of stone so people could drink from them, with a lower base for animals. Today passersby and travellers can still drink from these crystal waters which derive straight from Parnassos.

Watermill of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Built at the turn of the 20the century to mill flour, the watermill has been completely restored and represents a cultural beacon, as part of a cultural centre and exhibition space.

Archaeological Collection of Thespies
Central Greece / Viotia

This collection is found in the town hall of the Thespies, where many findings are presented such as those from the archaeological area of the ancient city by the same name, architectural parts of the ancient city’s buildings, sculptures of classical years, and remains from the archaic and the roman years.

Archaeological Museum of Chaironeia
Central Greece / Viotia

Important sculptures from Livadia and Chaironia such as Demeter, Kyveli, a portrait of emperor Hadrian, a stone sphere with reliefs of the sun and moon, and Athena Kranaia can be seen at the museum. There are also ceramics from pre-historic locales around the area, including Mycenaean murals from Orchomenos, weapons and coins from Macedonia and a Theban tomb from the area. Recently more findings from roman, classical and Hellenic times have enriched the museum’s solid collection. Note the fine inscriptions and headstones from the area, and a tomb with a mosaic floor and many other interesting finds.

Archaeological Museum of Delphi
Central Greece / Fokida

One of the most important museums in the country, displaying the history of Delphi and its powerful oracle. Stunning statues, architectural sculpture and gifts to the sanctuary are exhibited. They reflect the political, religious and artistic values of people around Ancient Greece and beyond from the 8th century BC until the late antique period. The greatest finds in this museum include the bronze charioteer from the 5th century BC, the gold and ivory heads of Artemis and Apollo, and the Roman copy of the Navel of the World (another name for Delphi).

Archaeological Museum of Schimatari
Central Greece / Viotia

Constructed in 1890, this is the earliest museum in Viotia. It contains findings from the cemeteries of Tanagra or which had been retrieved in the field, and also finds from the first excavations conducted by the Archaeological Society. A large number of grave stelae where practically the only remains from illegal excavations. The exquisite clay figurines were smuggled outside the country in the early 1870s. Today the recently renovated museum reveals the art of Tanagra over time, important inscriptions and objects from prehistoric times to the early Christian period.

Archaeological Museum of Thebes
Central Greece / Viotia

Rare collections from around Viotia outline local civilization from Palaeolithic to post-Byzantine eras. There is also a medieval Frankish tower in the museum’s courtyard, once part of a castle erected by Nicholas II de Saint Omer, Archon of Thebes in 1278. The city’s northern gates may have stood at the very spot.

Distomo Archaeological Collection
Central Greece / Viotia

The ancient Phocean city of Ambrossos, located now where Distomo is and beyond, features many findings from the Mycenaean up to the Early Christian era. The findings are on display at the old primary school, a preserved stone building from 1903. There’s also a photo exhibition from the Nazi massacre in 1944.

Historical and Ethnological Museum, Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

The old factory in Maglara features a watermill, flour mill and cotton gin. Locals used to wash their woven carpets there as well. The museum now displays tools and household objects from yesteryear, used for weaving, farming, etc. One room shows the works of writer and historian Takis Lappas who hails from Livadia.

Museum of Old Professions in Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Delve into the heritage of this area through this delightful museum which showcases the professions of the previous century, as well as the tools and equipment used. Professions such as baking, sewing, fishing, painting, shop-keeping, coffee-making, lottery-selling, cake selling, music playing, ice-cream vending, shoe mending and many other now defunct professions can be understood and explored at this museum. A true foray into a forgotten past…

No Nature & Flora Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
No Olive Mills Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
Archaeological Museum of Chaironeia
Central Greece / Viotia

Important sculptures from Livadia and Chaironia such as Demeter, Kyveli, a portrait of emperor Hadrian, a stone sphere with reliefs of the sun and moon, and Athena Kranaia can be seen at the museum. There are also ceramics from pre-historic locales around the area, including Mycenaean murals from Orchomenos, weapons and coins from Macedonia and a Theban tomb from the area. Recently more findings from roman, classical and Hellenic times have enriched the museum’s solid collection. Note the fine inscriptions and headstones from the area, and a tomb with a mosaic floor and many other interesting finds.

Archaeological Museum of Delphi
Central Greece / Fokida

One of the most important museums in the country, displaying the history of Delphi and its powerful oracle. Stunning statues, architectural sculpture and gifts to the sanctuary are exhibited. They reflect the political, religious and artistic values of people around Ancient Greece and beyond from the 8th century BC until the late antique period. The greatest finds in this museum include the bronze charioteer from the 5th century BC, the gold and ivory heads of Artemis and Apollo, and the Roman copy of the Navel of the World (another name for Delphi).

Castle and Church of Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

There is a castle in Davlia with remains of a Byzantine church in the form of some columns. The church was apparently built on the foundations of another ancient temple dedicated to Polias Athena.

Castle of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Considered one of the four Catalan castles in Greece, the Castle of Livadia on the hill of Agios Elias dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. The Catalans occupied the city from 1309 to 1380. A long walls weaves itself steeply around the castle until it joins an important tower. There is a little church inside that was built in later times, purportedly on a site where a temple dedicated to Zeus stood. Take a walk from the castle through the walls to enjoy the magnificent view of the gorge of Krya.

Clock tower of Livadia
Central Greece / Viotia

Although the tower was built during the Frankish era, the clock was donated by Lord Elgin in 1803 in exchange for being able to undertake archaeological excavations in the vicinity to find the mysterious oracle of Trofonios.

Dark past of Distomo
Central Greece / Viotia

In Karakolithos outside the town of Distomo lies a monument alluding to sombre times, where 134 citizens where executed in April 1944 by the Nazis for their resistance to occupation.

Monastery of Agion Theodoron
Central Greece / Viotia

The Monastery of Agion Theodoron – today with a library and two temples of Osios David and Osios Ieronimos – was built on a rock with a superb view of the Gulf of Corinth. Evidence shows that it this particular locale was inhabited as far back as the 7th century BC.

Monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin – Jerusalem, Davlia
Central Greece / Viotia

This historical monastery was founded in 1088 AC and may have existed before that. Two more recent temples were built on the site after fires and earthquake of 1870 destroyed the original. The Klephts (rebels) fought the Ottomans from this monastery, who eventually destroyed it in return as well.

Osios Loukas
Central Greece / Viotia

The historic venerable monastery of Osios Loukas (Hosios Lukas) at the slopes of mount Elikonas was founded in the early 10th century by the hermit Saint Loukas, whose relics are preserved in the monastery until today. Saint Loukas was actually a military saint who prophesized the re-conquest of Crete.

Saint Catherine and Saint Lucas in Thiva
Central Greece / Viotia

If you’re in Thiva visit the catacombs of the early Christian churches of Saint Catherine and Saint Luke the Evangelist. The latter lies in the town’s first cemetery where you also find a sarcophagus which is supposed to hold the saint’s body, dating from the 13th century.

Thebes and environs
Central Greece / Viotia

Ancient Thebes figures well in both Greek history and Greek mythology. Its past glory may not be reflected in the modern town of Thebes – or Thiva – today, but there is an excellent archaeological museum there are some sites to visit. These include the remains of the Temple of Ismenios Apollo, a few Mycenaean tombs, the spring of Agii Theodori (Fountain of Oedipus) and the Frankish aqueduct with the fountain of Dirki. Some 18 kilometres away from Thebes is the archaeological site of Plataiai. Other sites near Thiva include Lefktra, Gla and its Mycenaean Acropolis on Mount Ptoon, Tanagra which is known for its terra cotta figurines, and other sites such as Dilessi, Vathi of Avlida and Dliessi.

Valley of Muses
Central Greece / Viotia

A theatre from the 3rd century BC has been found here, including an altar for the muses and a gallery for votive offerings made to them. Only a few ruins remain from the grand past of this area, although some of the pedestals belonging to the statues of the muses were transferred to the museum of Thiva.

No Wildlife & Fauna Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
Papakonstantinou Estate, Schimatari
Central Greece / Viotia

On the border between Attica and Viotia, father and son of the Papakonstantinou family have been producing, preserving and bottling wine of different grape varieties such as Savatiano and Roditis (White), Cabarnet Sauvignon, Grenache Rouge, Merlot and Syrah (Red). Rose and resin wines (Retsina) are also produced.

Samartzis Bros Co.
Central Greece / Viotia

Deeper in Viotia the vineyards and wines of Askri (or Askre) are also considered superb. There is a wine factory in Askri that you can visit and vineyards as well. The Samartzis Bros Co. produces wine made of Chardonnay, Cabarnet Sauvignon, Roditis Moschofilero and many other varieties.