Attractions In Samos

Explore The Attractions Of Samos
Ancient Theater of Pythagorio
North Aegean / Samos

The city’s ancient theater stands on a slope under Spiliani mountain. It was built during the Roman era and seems to have had a stagem orchestra pit and seating area.

Ancient Walls of Samos
North Aegean / Samos

The walls linining the hills of Ambelou (Kastri) in Kasteli, at a total length of 6430m with a circumference of 1,2km squared, in which a city was set up. Carved, rectangular blocks, weighing several tons each were the main materials used for construction. Parts of the walls from various eras can be found here; in some places there are parts that are attributed to the era of Polycrates (second half of the 6th century BC), while other parts are dated around 300 BC (Hellenistic period) and after a series of wars culminating in the defeat of Samos by the Athenians in 439 BC there was a need for new, more modern fortifications. The most impressive attribute of the walls is their sheer volume and the scope that went into creating them. Unfortunately, the condition of the walls has deteriorated significantly due to neglect and abuse by visitors. Only one sign on the roadside informs of the existence of ancient walls.

Archaeological Museum of Pythagoreion
North Aegean / Samos

Statues, columns, sarchophagus, and beautiful pottery are just a few of the finds exhibited at the museum, located in the city centre of Pythagorion, next to the site of the ancient town of Samos. The museum presents the historical course of the island, from the 5th millennium BC until the 7th century AD. Major exhibits include a seated statue dedicated Aiakos Hera (540 BC), the 2.7m tall statue of Emperor, and large marble sarcophagus’ from the second half of the 6th century BC, as well as a marble portrait of Augustus and one of Claudius from the Roman era.

Archaeological Museum of Vathi
North Aegean / Samos

The island’s archaelogical museum is located in the heart of the main town, and housed in two buildings: the old museum (Paschaleio archive center) and the new museum. It holds collections from various eras, but chiefly the Archaic period. The most famous among the numerous impressive exhibits at the museum is a giant marble statue of a kouros, or young man, unearthed at the Heraion, which is dated to the 6th century BC and stands at 5,5m high.

Efpalineo Aqueduct
North Aegean / Samos

Impressive both for its progressive technological sophistication and great length (1,036 m), how the Efplaineo aqueduct was constructed so perfectly remains a mystery. The tunnel was excavated by two separate teams advancing in a straight line from both ends, digging through solid limestone using only hammers, chisels and picks. The tunnel is located 700 meters from the City of Pythagorio, at the Monastery of Spiliani.

Folk Museum of the Nikolaos Dimitriou Cultural Center
North Aegean / Samos

At this museum visitors can revisit the way of life of Samos residents leading up to WWII. The museum is separated into thematic units presenting the professions held in that era, professions such as those of the shepard, fisherman, cobbler, and most importantly for the island, the farmer and agricultural work.Parallel to this exhibition the visitor has the chance to explore the Monokamaro (one room) traditional home and see how people on the island experienced their daily life. Traditional handicrafts, men’s and women’s costumes, baby clothes and cribs and other household furniture and decor items are all included among the valuable and telling exhibits.

Holy Monastery of Great Lady of «Pende Ospiton»
North Aegean / Samos

Once an important center for liturgical life and the study of religious chanting, the monastery was founded in 1586 by the monks Dionysios and Neilos, on the south side of Samos, and was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. During the Ottoman Occupation it contributed to the secret schooling in the Greek language, and during the revolution of 1821 became a base for local combatants.

Holy Monastery of Vronta
North Aegean / Samos

One of the island’s most picturesque and scenic monasteries, with several lovely frescoes, was the first monastery to be founded, in 1566, by the two monks Iakovos and Makarios. It overlooks the shoreline of Asia Minor and is built within a tranquil woodland, near the village of Vourliotes, at an altitude of 458m.

Karlovassi Historical & Folklore Museum
North Aegean / Samos

Founded in 1994, the museum hosts items from the year 1870 until the mid 1900s that present agricultural as well as urban life in Karlovassi. Visitors can see a variety of objects that represent the town’s culture and way of life such as farm tools, a weaving loom, valuable porcelain items, skillfully carved mirrors, embellished furniture and elegant garments once worn by the city’s most prestigious ladies.

Metamorphosi Church
North Aegean / Samos

On the road leading to the waterfalls at the Karlovasi River, you’ll come across the pre-Christian era church known as Panayia Potamou (the Virgin of the River), which was built over an older church in the 13th Century BC. In its interior you’ll find Corinthian columns holding up the roof. The monument / church’s location makes it an even more enticing find, as it’s set in an idyllic landscape of thick riverside vegetation.

Metamorphosis Tou Sotiros Church
North Aegean / Samos

Built around 1833 on Kastro hill, west of Pythagorio town, the church was an initiative of one of the island’s leading figures in the Greek Revolution, Lykourgos Logothetis, in memory of the saviour of Samos against the Turkish fleet in the Battle of Mikali in August 1824. The church was built in the style of a basilica with a domed roof, and has an impressive marble iconostasis and pulpit from the early 20th century. It has been declared a historical monument.

Monastery of Agia Zonis
North Aegean / Samos

Erected in 1695 by the monk Meletios, with the assistance of locals, in the lush valley of Vlamari. In the cathedral there are some well preserved 17th century frescoes.

Monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos
North Aegean / Samos

A small but well kept church founded in 1823. In its temple there is a depiction of the mournering Virgin Mary embracing the crucified Lord, instead of the infant Jesus Christ, as is customarily depicted in Greek churches. There is also an old icon of Christ dating from the 18th century. Monastic cells are built the southern, western and northern sides of the monastery complex. This convent, which today only houses one nun, once housed up to 30 nuns.

Monastery of Prophet Elias
North Aegean / Samos

At an altitude of 210 meters, 3km to the southeast of Karlovasi, hikers can follow a mild path to reach the monastery. The church of the monastery, built in 1739 by the monks Grigorios and Theofilos, replaced what was earlier a small chapel and few chambers. The Monastery has some attractive frescoes, an ornate marble floor featuring a depiction of Adam and Eve, and a carved wooden iconostasis.

Monastery of the Holy Cross (Timiou Stavrou)
North Aegean / Samos

Originally built in 1582 by the monks Neilos and Dyionisios, the main part of the church is a large, three-aisled basilica with a round dome: its north aisle is dedicated to the Well of Life, the middle aisle to the Holy Cross and the south aisle to Saint John the Baptist. The Monastery, which took its current form in 1838, is famous for its distinctive carved iconostasis, which was painted by artisans from Chios in 1854, and an impressive pulpit. Among the collection of religious relicts of the monastery is the fragment of the Holy Cross.

Monastery of the Holy Trinity
North Aegean / Samos

Near Mytilinous at the Katrafili position, the monastery was founded in 1824 where the old Holy Trinity church was by the monk Neofytos. It is Samos’ most modern monastery and has a prized library.

Monastery of Zodochou Pigis
North Aegean / Samos

The convent is located in Rampaidoni mountain to the Northeast of Samos town, at an altitude of 300m, offers striking views across to Asia Minor and down to Mourtia beach. Its church was founded in 1756 in a pine tree forest where the Zoodochos (life-giving) spring once was. An interesting feature are the church’s doors, which are made from small wooden pieces symbolizing the 365 days of the year.

Monastery of Zodochou Pigis Kakoperatou
North Aegean / Samos

Within a cave on an isolated ravine bursting with greenery (plane and pine trees, bushes and other plants) stands the small church. Surrounded by mountains and 500m high, reaching this monastery can be risky, which explains its name, ‘kakoparatou’ meaning very difficult to reach. No longer in use, the cave was once inhabited by ascetics, who built the church of there.

Outdoor Sanctuaries of the Godess Cybele
North Aegean / Samos

The Phrygian mother goddess Cybele from Asia Minor, later known to the Greeks as Rea, was the goddess of wild nature and the creative forces of the earth and fertility. On the western and northern fringes of the upper city of ancient Samos, outdoor shrines dedicated to the godess were carved into the rocks. Access to the sanctuaries came from two roads, one which led to the temple of Artemidos and the other that came from the ancient Agora. At the highest point of the hill on which the ruins lie, a large rock carved in the shape of two throne-like seats was found.

Panayia Spiliani
North Aegean / Samos

A unique, tiny chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built inside a large cave northwest of Pythagoreio. In the church there is a marble icon of the Virgin, whose appearance on it is unclear. Next to the chapel is a small pool of what is said to be holy water. Spiliani (or Virgin of the Grotto) is also known by locals as ‘Kaliarmenissa’ and is considered to bring good luck to travellers.

Roman Baths
North Aegean / Samos

The Thermes, or baths were a complex built on the east side of the athletic complex where the gymnasium and palestra (wrestling school) were, during the latter part of the second century AD, and have been very well preseved. Their  walls were decorated with marble and the floors were covered with mosaics. A small vaulted room, the laconicum or sudatorium (a type of sauna) was turned into a baptistry in the late fifth century AD, around which a three aisled Christian basilica was built, and in the seventh century one of the north western bath chambers was turned into a tomb.

Tannery museum
North Aegean / Samos

Created in honor of a profession that was popular from the start of the 20th century and until a few decades ago, the museum is suitably located in a renovated old tannery. It presents tannery tools, machines from different periods, samples of leathers worked on by local tanners, and other materials, as well as photographs depicting the history of the trade in Karlovassi.

The Heraion
North Aegean / Samos

The Heraion was built 580 BC by the architect Theodoros, in honour of Hera, Zeus’ wife and Godess of the Hearth. Four times larger than the Parthenon (108.73 meters long, 54.8 meters wide and 25 meters high), this is the largest temple ever to be built in Greece. Yet, only one of its 133 columns remains standing today. The entire area at the Heraion was dedicated to religious worship, and the remnants of at least four temples are to be found there, and the temple was connected to a four meter wide tiled (Sacred) road that led to today’s Pythagoreio and which was lined with statues and votive offerings.

Tower of Lykourgos Logothetis Museum
North Aegean / Samos

The permanent exhibition presented in the Tower is made up of archaeological finds from excavations carried out at the castle on the same hill as the museum and in other areas where Byzantine ruins and monuments remained. The museum exhibition is separated into six thematic segments and covers a wide part of the island’s history from late Antiquity until the 19th century, with a special focus on the early Byzantine era. The audio-visual presentation also includes information on the life of Lykourgos Logothetis, fortress architecture in Aigio and Samos and the daily life of locals.

Wine Museum
North Aegean / Samos

Originally a private owned winery, the museum was created in 2005 by the Union of Vinicultural Cooperatives, who in 2005 created this museum on the winery’s grounds in tribute to the island’s noteworthy winemaking tradition. Tools, lab equipment and machinery used for winemaking over the last century, examples of early 20th-century casks, and the French oak barrels used today, and a photo exhibition offer the visitor an enjoyable visual journey, while the museum also has a tasting room that offers a journey of the senses.

Ancient Theater of Pythagorio
North Aegean / Samos

The city’s ancient theater stands on a slope under Spiliani mountain. It was built during the Roman era and seems to have had a stagem orchestra pit and seating area.

Ancient Walls of Samos
North Aegean / Samos

The walls linining the hills of Ambelou (Kastri) in Kasteli, at a total length of 6430m with a circumference of 1,2km squared, in which a city was set up. Carved, rectangular blocks, weighing several tons each were the main materials used for construction. Parts of the walls from various eras can be found here; in some places there are parts that are attributed to the era of Polycrates (second half of the 6th century BC), while other parts are dated around 300 BC (Hellenistic period) and after a series of wars culminating in the defeat of Samos by the Athenians in 439 BC there was a need for new, more modern fortifications. The most impressive attribute of the walls is their sheer volume and the scope that went into creating them. Unfortunately, the condition of the walls has deteriorated significantly due to neglect and abuse by visitors. Only one sign on the roadside informs of the existence of ancient walls.

Efpalineo Aqueduct
North Aegean / Samos

Impressive both for its progressive technological sophistication and great length (1,036 m), how the Efplaineo aqueduct was constructed so perfectly remains a mystery. The tunnel was excavated by two separate teams advancing in a straight line from both ends, digging through solid limestone using only hammers, chisels and picks. The tunnel is located 700 meters from the City of Pythagorio, at the Monastery of Spiliani.

Outdoor Sanctuaries of the Godess Cybele
North Aegean / Samos

The Phrygian mother goddess Cybele from Asia Minor, later known to the Greeks as Rea, was the goddess of wild nature and the creative forces of the earth and fertility. On the western and northern fringes of the upper city of ancient Samos, outdoor shrines dedicated to the godess were carved into the rocks. Access to the sanctuaries came from two roads, one which led to the temple of Artemidos and the other that came from the ancient Agora. At the highest point of the hill on which the ruins lie, a large rock carved in the shape of two throne-like seats was found.

Roman Baths
North Aegean / Samos

The Thermes, or baths were a complex built on the east side of the athletic complex where the gymnasium and palestra (wrestling school) were, during the latter part of the second century AD, and have been very well preseved. Their  walls were decorated with marble and the floors were covered with mosaics. A small vaulted room, the laconicum or sudatorium (a type of sauna) was turned into a baptistry in the late fifth century AD, around which a three aisled Christian basilica was built, and in the seventh century one of the north western bath chambers was turned into a tomb.

The Heraion
North Aegean / Samos

The Heraion was built 580 BC by the architect Theodoros, in honour of Hera, Zeus’ wife and Godess of the Hearth. Four times larger than the Parthenon (108.73 meters long, 54.8 meters wide and 25 meters high), this is the largest temple ever to be built in Greece. Yet, only one of its 133 columns remains standing today. The entire area at the Heraion was dedicated to religious worship, and the remnants of at least four temples are to be found there, and the temple was connected to a four meter wide tiled (Sacred) road that led to today’s Pythagoreio and which was lined with statues and votive offerings.

No Castles & Forts Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
No Caves Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
Holy Monastery of Great Lady of «Pende Ospiton»
North Aegean / Samos

Once an important center for liturgical life and the study of religious chanting, the monastery was founded in 1586 by the monks Dionysios and Neilos, on the south side of Samos, and was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. During the Ottoman Occupation it contributed to the secret schooling in the Greek language, and during the revolution of 1821 became a base for local combatants.

Holy Monastery of Vronta
North Aegean / Samos

One of the island’s most picturesque and scenic monasteries, with several lovely frescoes, was the first monastery to be founded, in 1566, by the two monks Iakovos and Makarios. It overlooks the shoreline of Asia Minor and is built within a tranquil woodland, near the village of Vourliotes, at an altitude of 458m.

Metamorphosi Church
North Aegean / Samos

On the road leading to the waterfalls at the Karlovasi River, you’ll come across the pre-Christian era church known as Panayia Potamou (the Virgin of the River), which was built over an older church in the 13th Century BC. In its interior you’ll find Corinthian columns holding up the roof. The monument / church’s location makes it an even more enticing find, as it’s set in an idyllic landscape of thick riverside vegetation.

Metamorphosis Tou Sotiros Church
North Aegean / Samos

Built around 1833 on Kastro hill, west of Pythagorio town, the church was an initiative of one of the island’s leading figures in the Greek Revolution, Lykourgos Logothetis, in memory of the saviour of Samos against the Turkish fleet in the Battle of Mikali in August 1824. The church was built in the style of a basilica with a domed roof, and has an impressive marble iconostasis and pulpit from the early 20th century. It has been declared a historical monument.

Monastery of Agia Zonis
North Aegean / Samos

Erected in 1695 by the monk Meletios, with the assistance of locals, in the lush valley of Vlamari. In the cathedral there are some well preserved 17th century frescoes.

Monastery of Agios Ioannis Theologos
North Aegean / Samos

A small but well kept church founded in 1823. In its temple there is a depiction of the mournering Virgin Mary embracing the crucified Lord, instead of the infant Jesus Christ, as is customarily depicted in Greek churches. There is also an old icon of Christ dating from the 18th century. Monastic cells are built the southern, western and northern sides of the monastery complex. This convent, which today only houses one nun, once housed up to 30 nuns.

Monastery of Prophet Elias
North Aegean / Samos

At an altitude of 210 meters, 3km to the southeast of Karlovasi, hikers can follow a mild path to reach the monastery. The church of the monastery, built in 1739 by the monks Grigorios and Theofilos, replaced what was earlier a small chapel and few chambers. The Monastery has some attractive frescoes, an ornate marble floor featuring a depiction of Adam and Eve, and a carved wooden iconostasis.

Monastery of the Holy Cross (Timiou Stavrou)
North Aegean / Samos

Originally built in 1582 by the monks Neilos and Dyionisios, the main part of the church is a large, three-aisled basilica with a round dome: its north aisle is dedicated to the Well of Life, the middle aisle to the Holy Cross and the south aisle to Saint John the Baptist. The Monastery, which took its current form in 1838, is famous for its distinctive carved iconostasis, which was painted by artisans from Chios in 1854, and an impressive pulpit. Among the collection of religious relicts of the monastery is the fragment of the Holy Cross.

Monastery of the Holy Trinity
North Aegean / Samos

Near Mytilinous at the Katrafili position, the monastery was founded in 1824 where the old Holy Trinity church was by the monk Neofytos. It is Samos’ most modern monastery and has a prized library.

Monastery of Zodochou Pigis
North Aegean / Samos

The convent is located in Rampaidoni mountain to the Northeast of Samos town, at an altitude of 300m, offers striking views across to Asia Minor and down to Mourtia beach. Its church was founded in 1756 in a pine tree forest where the Zoodochos (life-giving) spring once was. An interesting feature are the church’s doors, which are made from small wooden pieces symbolizing the 365 days of the year.

Monastery of Zodochou Pigis Kakoperatou
North Aegean / Samos

Within a cave on an isolated ravine bursting with greenery (plane and pine trees, bushes and other plants) stands the small church. Surrounded by mountains and 500m high, reaching this monastery can be risky, which explains its name, ‘kakoparatou’ meaning very difficult to reach. No longer in use, the cave was once inhabited by ascetics, who built the church of there.

Panayia Spiliani
North Aegean / Samos

A unique, tiny chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built inside a large cave northwest of Pythagoreio. In the church there is a marble icon of the Virgin, whose appearance on it is unclear. Next to the chapel is a small pool of what is said to be holy water. Spiliani (or Virgin of the Grotto) is also known by locals as ‘Kaliarmenissa’ and is considered to bring good luck to travellers.

No Landmarks Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
Archaeological Museum of Pythagoreion
North Aegean / Samos

Statues, columns, sarchophagus, and beautiful pottery are just a few of the finds exhibited at the museum, located in the city centre of Pythagorion, next to the site of the ancient town of Samos. The museum presents the historical course of the island, from the 5th millennium BC until the 7th century AD. Major exhibits include a seated statue dedicated Aiakos Hera (540 BC), the 2.7m tall statue of Emperor, and large marble sarcophagus’ from the second half of the 6th century BC, as well as a marble portrait of Augustus and one of Claudius from the Roman era.

Archaeological Museum of Vathi
North Aegean / Samos

The island’s archaelogical museum is located in the heart of the main town, and housed in two buildings: the old museum (Paschaleio archive center) and the new museum. It holds collections from various eras, but chiefly the Archaic period. The most famous among the numerous impressive exhibits at the museum is a giant marble statue of a kouros, or young man, unearthed at the Heraion, which is dated to the 6th century BC and stands at 5,5m high.

Folk Museum of the Nikolaos Dimitriou Cultural Center
North Aegean / Samos

At this museum visitors can revisit the way of life of Samos residents leading up to WWII. The museum is separated into thematic units presenting the professions held in that era, professions such as those of the shepard, fisherman, cobbler, and most importantly for the island, the farmer and agricultural work.Parallel to this exhibition the visitor has the chance to explore the Monokamaro (one room) traditional home and see how people on the island experienced their daily life. Traditional handicrafts, men’s and women’s costumes, baby clothes and cribs and other household furniture and decor items are all included among the valuable and telling exhibits.

Karlovassi Historical & Folklore Museum
North Aegean / Samos

Founded in 1994, the museum hosts items from the year 1870 until the mid 1900s that present agricultural as well as urban life in Karlovassi. Visitors can see a variety of objects that represent the town’s culture and way of life such as farm tools, a weaving loom, valuable porcelain items, skillfully carved mirrors, embellished furniture and elegant garments once worn by the city’s most prestigious ladies.

Tannery museum
North Aegean / Samos

Created in honor of a profession that was popular from the start of the 20th century and until a few decades ago, the museum is suitably located in a renovated old tannery. It presents tannery tools, machines from different periods, samples of leathers worked on by local tanners, and other materials, as well as photographs depicting the history of the trade in Karlovassi.

Tower of Lykourgos Logothetis Museum
North Aegean / Samos

The permanent exhibition presented in the Tower is made up of archaeological finds from excavations carried out at the castle on the same hill as the museum and in other areas where Byzantine ruins and monuments remained. The museum exhibition is separated into six thematic segments and covers a wide part of the island’s history from late Antiquity until the 19th century, with a special focus on the early Byzantine era. The audio-visual presentation also includes information on the life of Lykourgos Logothetis, fortress architecture in Aigio and Samos and the daily life of locals.

Wine Museum
North Aegean / Samos

Originally a private owned winery, the museum was created in 2005 by the Union of Vinicultural Cooperatives, who in 2005 created this museum on the winery’s grounds in tribute to the island’s noteworthy winemaking tradition. Tools, lab equipment and machinery used for winemaking over the last century, examples of early 20th-century casks, and the French oak barrels used today, and a photo exhibition offer the visitor an enjoyable visual journey, while the museum also has a tasting room that offers a journey of the senses.

No Nature & Flora Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
No Olive Mills Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
Ancient Walls of Samos
North Aegean / Samos

The walls linining the hills of Ambelou (Kastri) in Kasteli, at a total length of 6430m with a circumference of 1,2km squared, in which a city was set up. Carved, rectangular blocks, weighing several tons each were the main materials used for construction. Parts of the walls from various eras can be found here; in some places there are parts that are attributed to the era of Polycrates (second half of the 6th century BC), while other parts are dated around 300 BC (Hellenistic period) and after a series of wars culminating in the defeat of Samos by the Athenians in 439 BC there was a need for new, more modern fortifications. The most impressive attribute of the walls is their sheer volume and the scope that went into creating them. Unfortunately, the condition of the walls has deteriorated significantly due to neglect and abuse by visitors. Only one sign on the roadside informs of the existence of ancient walls.

Archaeological Museum of Pythagoreion
North Aegean / Samos

Statues, columns, sarchophagus, and beautiful pottery are just a few of the finds exhibited at the museum, located in the city centre of Pythagorion, next to the site of the ancient town of Samos. The museum presents the historical course of the island, from the 5th millennium BC until the 7th century AD. Major exhibits include a seated statue dedicated Aiakos Hera (540 BC), the 2.7m tall statue of Emperor, and large marble sarcophagus’ from the second half of the 6th century BC, as well as a marble portrait of Augustus and one of Claudius from the Roman era.

Efpalineo Aqueduct
North Aegean / Samos

Impressive both for its progressive technological sophistication and great length (1,036 m), how the Efplaineo aqueduct was constructed so perfectly remains a mystery. The tunnel was excavated by two separate teams advancing in a straight line from both ends, digging through solid limestone using only hammers, chisels and picks. The tunnel is located 700 meters from the City of Pythagorio, at the Monastery of Spiliani.

Holy Monastery of Great Lady of «Pende Ospiton»
North Aegean / Samos

Once an important center for liturgical life and the study of religious chanting, the monastery was founded in 1586 by the monks Dionysios and Neilos, on the south side of Samos, and was dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. During the Ottoman Occupation it contributed to the secret schooling in the Greek language, and during the revolution of 1821 became a base for local combatants.

Holy Monastery of Vronta
North Aegean / Samos

One of the island’s most picturesque and scenic monasteries, with several lovely frescoes, was the first monastery to be founded, in 1566, by the two monks Iakovos and Makarios. It overlooks the shoreline of Asia Minor and is built within a tranquil woodland, near the village of Vourliotes, at an altitude of 458m.

Tannery museum
North Aegean / Samos

Created in honor of a profession that was popular from the start of the 20th century and until a few decades ago, the museum is suitably located in a renovated old tannery. It presents tannery tools, machines from different periods, samples of leathers worked on by local tanners, and other materials, as well as photographs depicting the history of the trade in Karlovassi.

No Wildlife & Fauna Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.
No Wineries Found In This Destination. Please Check Other Attractions.