Attractions In Karditsa

Explore The Attractions Of Karditsa
Aetofolia Cave in Agios Akakios
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Agios Akakios in Ithomi, 10 km from Fanari, lies the cave of Aetofolia (Eagle’s nest). It is 260 metres long and at least 40,000 years old. This great cave is northwest of the village and easily accessible. Its walls have been polished by the flow of water marked by amazing stalactites and stalagmites.

Agios Nikolaos and Virgin Mary Monastery, Mesovouni
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Mesovouni in the municipality of Argithea, and at a height of 1050 meters, features the Church of Agios Nikolaos, as well as the Monastery of the Birth of the Virgin Mary dating from the 17th century. Only the altar screen has been saved from the original building as the church was rebuilt in 1904.

Agios Nikolaos in Agios Akakios, Ithomi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Agios Akakios in Ithomi, 10 km from Fanari boasts the church of Agios Nikolaos, with a single chambered basilica from the 14th century. Some original wall paintings have been preserved. Not far is a small cave used as a religious shrine and hermitage of Agios Akakios.

Agios Nikolaos Monastery, Therino
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Therino is a traditional village 10 km northwest of Argithea. At an altitude of 870 metres, it is home to the Monastery of Agios Nikolaos which boasts a carved wooden altar screen with icons that date from around 1850.

Ancient Athamanon in Argithea
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The traditional village of Argithea was once where the ancient capital of Athamania was located, some two kilometres west of the village at a site called Ellinika. Excavations have revealed large walls 15 metres in height, ancient residences, preserved remnants of the walls around the city, parts of the statues and their pedestals, an ancient cemetery on the eastern side of the old city, and another to the west (4th to 1st century BC), more than 180 enclosed tombs, and limestone plaques from local stone along with a wealth of funeral gifts. A pillaged memorial tomb plus tombstone stele and artefacts rich with inscriptions have all been unearthed. This is the most important of all archaeological sites of ancient Athamanon. Excavations have revealed large walls 15 metres in height, ancient residences, preserved remnants of the walls around the city, parts of the statues and their pedestals, an ancient cemetery on the eastern side of the old city, and another to the west (4th to 1st century BC), more than 180 enclosed tombs, and limestone plaques from local stone along with a wealth of funeral gifts. A pillaged memorial tomb plus tombstone stele and artefacts rich with inscriptions have all been unearthed. This is the most important of all archaeological sites of ancient Athamanon.

Ancient Athamanon tombs and graves
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Koumbouriana within Athamanon lies an altitude of 1050 meters. The Kato Choro or ‘lowlands’ of the area have been characterised as an official archaeological district with ruins of many old buildings and numerous ancient tombs and graves.

Ancient Dolopia at Belokomitis
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

At the area called Plagia near Belokomitis, a building site and parts of ancient walls from the time of the ancient Dolopians (6th century BC) were discovered. At the Panigiraki site, a house dating from the 6th century AD was excavated. At Paliospita, there’s a settlement dating between the 8th to 10th centuries AD.

Ancient Dolopia at Karitsa
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Karitsa of the Dolopons is one of the older villages of Nevropolis and was continually occupied since the Byzantine era. At Paliohori just past the village of Karitsa near the river there are archaeological ruins belonging to the ancient Dolopes. Artefacts reveal that the settlement dates from the 3rd century BC.

Ancient Gomfoi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The site of the ancient city of Gomfoi (pronounced Gomfi) is located 2 km northwest of Episkopi within the region of Mouzaki. The ruins of Gomfoi include a fortified wall, part of which was recently excavated.
In 48 B.C., Gomfoi initially took the side of Pompey following the policy of the Commons of Thessaly. The Gomfians refused to open their gates to the army of Caesar, and after a lengthy siege Caesar overtook the city. In the sixth century AD during the reign of Justinian, the fortifications of the city were strengthened and during the Byzantine era it became the seat of a Bishopric.

Ancient Kallithiro at Agios Athanasios
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kallithiro in Itamo features an archaeological dig on the hill of Agios Athanasios which revealed artefacts from the ancient city of Kallithiro. The city was supposedly destroyed in a fire in 220 to 230 BC. Three more archaeological sites are within the inhabited part of the village.

Ancient Menelaida, Kastania
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Kastania, a resort village at an altitude of 800 metres near fir tree forest, there are remains of an ancient fortress, said to be remains of the ancient city of Menelaida.

Anthiro bridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Spanning 35 meters in length, the bow bridge of Agrosia was built in line with traditional architecture and is worth a visit.

Architecture and watermill of Ellinopirgos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ellinopirgos (Ithomi region) is marked as a site for cultural preservation and retains many examples of traditional architecture. Favourites of visitors are the stone balcony of Agios Eleftherios and the watermill of Hantzi, both built in the last century. Near the watermill, an unexplored cave is found called Hole of Lolo.

Around Aidonochori & its summit
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Aidonochori area is crossed by a tributary of the Onochonos river which emanates near Angelina. Numerous walnut trees grow in the area, which is full of vegetation and wildlife, particularly next to the river. A forest road will take you to a lovely area called Tsapournia, 7 km from the village. There is a summit there at a height of 1650 meters that affords a view of the entire Thessalian plain. The 4000 acres of forest – mostly fir – harbour hares, bears and wolves.

Artefacts from Ancient Athamanon at Leontito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Two kilometres from Leontito in the Athamanon area excavations have revealed artefacts probably belonging to the ancient Athamanon. There are also remains from the Middle Ages.

Assumption of Holy Virgin, Gelanthi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Gelanthi is a village three kilometres from the township centre of Mouzaki. The Chapel of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, built in 1813, possesses a characteristic eight-sided dome and imposing bell-tower that dates from 1889.

Assumption of Holy Virgin, Krania, Petrilo
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The historic village of Petrilo is situated 30 km southwest of Mouzaki at an altitude of 1200 metres. Nearby, the church or the Assumption of the Holy Virgin built in 1884 in Krania has a cross-beamed dome and is worth discovering.

Assumption of the Holy Virgin, Petrohori
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Petrohori is home to the church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, with a vaulted, wooden roof, religious wall paintings dating to the 1730s, and a notable carved wooden altar screen. The cemetery boasts the church of Agia Paraskevi with a stone built basilica, plus alter screen and frescos from the 17th century.

Birth of Christ church, Rossi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The church of the Birth of Christ in the village of Rossi was built in the 17th century (1662), featuring exceptional wall paintings and wooden carved altar screen of Agios Pantelemon with important icons.

Botanical Gardens of Neochori
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Neochori is a village spread on the hill slopes above Lake Plastira. It is 37 kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 900-1050 metres. The Botanical Gardens and tree nursery of Neochori are open on a daily basis and unveil ecosystem of the region. Enjoy linden trees, firs, water plants, herbs and ornamental plants.

Box-shaped graves in Apidia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Apidia Village in the Kallifoni area (23 km from Karditsa and 11 km from the village of Kallifoni) lies on of 330 metres. Ancient box-shaped graves have been found in the Apidia district that link it with habitation in antiquity.

Bridge and watermills at Porti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Porti, six kilometres northwest of Mouzaki and 33 km from Karditsa, lies on an altitude of 650 metres. The village includes two watermills and an arched bridge over the river.

Bridge of Katafili, Ardanovo River
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Bridge of Katafili on the Ardanovo River was built in 1910 by an Italian engineer employing the locally renowned stonemasons from the Tzoumerka Mountains. The bridge has five arches (with a large central one) and spans a length of 50 meters, built from select local stone.

Bridges and heroes’ mansions at Petroto
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village district of Petroto (meaning ‘rock strewn’) at 650 meters is 54 from Mouzaki, and 12 kilometres from Anthiro and Kali Komi. There are three stone bridges. The arched stone bridge at the Poupi locality dates from the 13th-14th centuries. The Bridge of Korakou (Bridge of the Crow) is the largest single arched bridge in Greece, built in 1514-1515 by the then Bishop of Larissa, Saint Vissarionas, with the help of patrons from all the Balkans. The bridge was blown up by the andartes during the Greek civil war. The third is Koutsokamara, an arched bridge in the Sikias area. In addition the residences of two of the area’s greatest heroes of the War of Independence have been kept up for visitors: these are the mansions of Karathanassi in Petroto, and of Tsiouma in Agios Dimitrios.

Bridges and houses of Vlassi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Vlassi in the municipality of Athamanon at an altitude of 1100 meters features impressive stone houses, four arched stone bridges and great views. The nearest to the village is called the Mezilo Bridge, located on the Tirologos area right before the village. The bridge is in good condition, and dates from around 1600.

Bridges and watermill of Agios Giorgos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Agios Giorgos within the municipality of Mitropolis lies 12 kilometers from Karditsa at an altitude of 330 meters. The village has been declared a protected historic site by the Greek government. There are two bridges within the village, and 1.5 km to the north a watermill has been preserved in private ownership.

Bridges at Ano and Kato Ktimeni (Dranista)
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ano and Kato Ktimeni are jointly administered villages within the municipality of Tamassi. Its landmarks include the stone-built single arch bridge on the Draniotiko River, north-west of Kato Ktimeni and the double-arched bridge of Loutra.

Byzantine baths of Loxada
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Loxada, there are Byzantine baths, which have yet to be excavated in full.

Byzantine castle at Fanari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The only remaining Byzantine castle of the region is in the beautiful village of Fanari, located on a forested hill at an altitude of 450 meters, 15 km northwest of Karditsa. This is the best preserved fortress in all of Western Thessaly and dates from the 12th century. Note the lovely stone-built cottages of the area too.

Byzantine spring of Agios Prokopios
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Moschato, within the Plastiras municipality, one of the landmarks of interest is the stone-enhanced spring of Agios Prokopios, said to date from the end of the Byzantine era but rebuilt in 1905.

Castle remains in Katafigi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Katafigi is a village within the municipality of Itamos. Therein lie the ruins of an ancient castle, testifying to the area’s long history of occupation.

Cava Sfetsiou
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Sfetsios family is well-known in winemaking circles in Greece, and has been at it for generations. This wine shop in Karditsa carries its own wines of the Sfetsios brand, as well as many notable wines from the region and beyond.

Cave at Paleokaria, Stefaniada
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Stefaniada is a village within the municipality of Athamanon. At Paleokaria there is an unexplored cave.

Cave near Mitropoli
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

At a distance of five kilometres from Mitropoli are the woods called, Hilia Dendra (a thousand trees), a source of water and shade with tavernas and coffee shops for visitors. Five kilometres east of Mitropoli is a cave with stalagmites and stalactites.

Cave of Andrea the Thief of Limeri, Moschato
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Moschato is in the Plastiras municipality and is16 kilometres from Karditsa, located at an altitude of 450 metres. Near the village is the Cave of Andrea the Thief of Limeri. Surely there are legends surrounding this cave.

Cave of Arapi in Ellinokastro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ellinokastro (meaning Hellenic Castle) within the Municipality of Mouzaki at an altitude of 550 meters has a magnificent view looking towards the ridge-crests of the Pindos Range. The cave of the Arapi (meaning Black Man) can be reached part of the distance by dirt road, and the remainder by a rugged mountain path.

Cave of Gaki, Belokomiti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The largely unexplored Cave of Gaki contains stalactites and stalagmites. Notable caves in the area are also those of Kaimakia in the canyon of the Karitsiotis River. The nearby peaks of Mourlero at 2032 meters and Karamanolis at 1700 meters offer great views of Plastiras Lake.

Caves at Leontito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Leontito is a village in the Athamanon Community surrounded by fir forest and fruit trees. Two caves have been located in the region.

Caves at Petroto
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village district of Petroto (meaning ‘rock strewn’) is 54 from Mouzaki and 12 kilometres from Anthiro and Kali Komi. Its altitude is 650 metres. The caves of Meintani, Haidodi, and Avrisko are found within the Petroto area.

Caves of Kleftovrissi and Stavros at Anthiro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Anthiro is is 50 kilometres from Mouzaki and 36 kilometres from Pili, Trikala. There are two caves in Anthiro: the Kleftovrissi (Bandit Spring) and the Stavros (The Cross).

Caves of Skala at Porti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Porti, 6 km northwest of Mouzaki has an altitude of 650 metres. Forested areas and Mount Itamos offer great views and nature. There are caves at the locality called Skala.

Church of Agios Athanassios, Kedros
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kedros is a village at an altitude of 567 metres as we leave the Plain of Thessaly for the Agrafa Mountains. The Church of Agios Athanassios there dates from 1777 and has been designated as a cultural monument.

Church of Holy Trinity, Dafnospilia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Dafnospilia in the municipality of Kallifoni is 17 kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 570 metres. In the Church of the Holy Trinity there is a wood-carved altar of great historic value. The skull of Saint Gregory of the Akragandinon (Bishop of the Akragandinon of Sicily) is safeguarded in the church.

Church of the Assumption, Vathylakkos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

There are many churches in Vathylakkos. The Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin within the village was built in 1777. The altar screen of the church has special historical significance as it was brought from Constantinople.

Church of the Birth of the Holy Virgin, Kastania
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The church in the centre of the village is dedicated to the Birth of the Holy Virgin, and the village celebrates its Holy Day on the 8th of September. The church has a woodcarved altar screen of walnut form the 18th century. The skull of Agios Trifonas is safeguarded within this church.

Church of Twelve Apostles, Pirgos Ithomis
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of the Twelve Apostles is 700 metres south-east of the village and is the only church of Pirgos Ithomis. Built as a basilica in the 19th century, it boasts a wood-carved altar screen crafted by woodworkers from Metsovo in 1850. The stone-built bell tower was added in 1930. One of its most interesting features are its excellent acoustics due to the incorporation of a system of clay amphorae within the walls when they were built. The Church has been declared a historic monument.

Churches of Agios Giorgos and Agios Nikolaos, Rendina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of Agios Giorgos on the village square of Rendina has a single chamber with wall frescos from 1719 and an exceptional wood-carved altar screen. The Church of Agios Nikolaοs, built in 1719, lies in the centre of the village within a grove of plane trees underneath an imposing rocky promontory.

Churches of Fanari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Fanari, 15 km northwest of Karditsa, is the church of Agios Seraphim, built in 1930. Within its grounds is a small building at the site of his martyrdom and where the saint’s skull is safeguarded. The church of Saint John, built in 1886, features a carved wooden altar screen and a noteworthy bell tower. Also worthy of mention is the Chapel of the Source of Life, built atop an ancient Roman bath.

Churches of Kanalia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Fourteen kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 350 metres, the picturesque village of Kanalia on the foothills of the Agrafa Mountains is home to the Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin with a domed basilica, built in 1894. The Chapel of Profitis Elias built in 1903 is a refuge of calm, situated on the heights above the village. The holy icon of the Holy Virgin of Kanalia church (4th or 5th century) is thought to be the work of the evangelist Luke. It is made of candle-gum and holds powerful religious significance.

Churches of the Ascension and Agios Dimitrios, Rendina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin, a very old building, contains an altar screen dated 1659 and sections of the original frescos. Also noteworthy at the entrance to the village is the chapel of Agios Dimitrios, built in 1662.

Dimakotripa and Arkoudotripa in Thrapsimi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Thrapsimi in Menelaides is 30 km from both Karditsa and Sofades at an altitude of 650 metres. Two caves are found within the limestone ‘Rock’, 1500 metres northwest of the village: these are Arkoudotripa (Bear Hole) and Dimakotripa (Hole of Dimakos) with a depth of about thirty square metres.

Dolopian walls at Leontari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Leontari (pronounced Leondari) is in the municipality of Tamasi. The name of the village is taken from that of King Leontio, who, according to ancient history, ruled the region and was the brother-in-law to the King of Rendina, Menelaus. Ancient walls of the Dolopons can be found at the border of the village.

Drakotripa Cave in Pezoula
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Somewhere in the region of Pezoula, Neraida and Neohori, on the hills above Lake Plastira, there are reports of an unexplored cave called Drakotripa (Dragon’s Hole) on the way to the peak of Karamanolis. Ask the locals for more information.

Drakotripa Museum, Mouzaki region
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Drakotripa was known for its sword-smiths in the Ottoman era, followed by stonemasons called Koudari, who spoke their own language like most masons of Epiros. The village has a museum with a library and exhibits from the 18th-19th centuries. There is also a working watermill in Drakotripa worth visiting.

Elias Katsis Mansion in Thrampsimi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Thrapsimi in the municipality of Menelaides is 31 km from both Karditsa and Sofades at an altitude of 650 metres. It features the preserved house of the priest Elias Katsis, built in 1925, a three-story stone mansion built by masons from Epiros. There is also a folk museum in the village.

Five bridges of Rahoula
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

There is a smaller, single arched stone bridge at a distance of 1.5 kilometres from the village at a site called Itia. All of these bridges represent an important part of the heritage and old architecture of the area.

Folk and History Museum in Krioneri
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Krioneri is a village sited on the beautiful plateau of Nevropoli next to Lake Plastira. The village has a Folk and Historical Museum for those interested in learning more about its history. Exhibits include artefacts from its history.

Folk Art Museum of Leontito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Leontito in the Athamanon region, surrounded by fir forest and fruit trees, lies at an altitude of 1,000 meters and is 40 km from Mouzaki. The remodelled Public School Building at the village centre is today used as a Library and Folk Art Museum.

Folk Museum in Moschato
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Moschato which lies in the Plastiras municipality, there is a folk museum of local renown.

Folk museum of Loutro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Loutro is an old village of Menelaides Township located 20 km from Karditsa at an altitude of 247 metres. The Community Centre of Loutro contains an exhibition hall and museum of local antiques and traditional tools.

Folk Museum of Moloha
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Moloha has a Folk Museum open all year round that displays antique artefacts and tools.

Folk Museum of Portitsa
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

There’s an interesting folk museum in Portitsa near Mitropoli that has exhibits of traditional tools and handicrafts.

Forests of Ahladia and Anavra, in Tamassi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In the municipality of Tamassi, the village of Ahladia, which means ‘pear trees’, lies 3 km from Leontari. The forests around the village are so dense that it’s difficult to wander through. About 2200 acres of mountain landscape are covered with forest, including the forest of Koumaros, forest of Zervos, and forest of Tourpes near Agios Giorgos. The trees are evergreens, oak and broad-leafed varieties (shrub oak, planes).
Also in Tamassi is the village of Anavra. The highest summit in the village, at 984 meters, is Katachloro and looks out to the dam of Smokovo. There’s also a cave on its southwest side. Katachloro is a wildlife reserve. Oak forests abound in the area of Anavra, including the old forest of Likorema where wolves abound.

Forests of Apidia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Apidia, within the municipality of Kallifoni, the surrounding environment features forests cedar, oak and fir. The woods are dotted by innumerable springs. The landscape is one of especial beauty. The Kalentzis River, a tributary to the Pineus, has its source within the district. There are mineral springs a short distance upstream of the old bridge of Kanaviotiko at an altitude of 400 metres.

Grammatiko Folk Museum
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Grammatiko is a village on the plains of Thessaly within the Municipality of Tamasi. It is 32 kilometres from Karditsa and just 9 km from Leontari. There is an impressive folk art museum in the Community Centre.

Graves at Anavra
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Anavra is a village within the municipality of Tamassi, and is 28 km from Karditsa. Ancient graves have been found in the area testifying to its long history of continual occupation.

Hole of Lolo, Ellinopirgos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ellinopirgos is 27 km from Karditsa and lies in municipality of Ithomi. It is a picturesque settlement built in a natural amphitheatre at 640 metres altitude. The village has been designated a site for cultural preservation. Near the watermill, an unexplored cave is found called the Hole of Lolo.

Kaimakia Cave in Karvassaras
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Karvassaras is a village within the municipality of Nevropoli Agrafon with an altitude of 1200 metres. The Cave of Kaimakia is unexplored, located 5 km along the road from Vainia towards Petrilo, 500 metres to the right of the road. A rushing stream flows from the cave and over a small waterfall.

Kali Komi Bridge, Argithea region
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Kali Komi within the Argithea region features an old watermill(photo) that has been preserved, and was still in use until 1996. The village is also characterised by its stone-built houses more than a hundred years old.

Kamara Bridge of Karia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Karia, 15 kilometres southwest of Argithea, is known for its 13th century bridge called Kamara. It is 3 km away from modern bridge of Agorassia and 800 metres from the highway at Vaitsa. It is 15.5 metres high with an open arch of 30 metres. It is built from limestone rocks on a foundation and in good condition.

Karamitrou Winery
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

A young, modern winery in the Mesenikolas within the Plastiras Municipality, this is the only winery in the region within the O.P.A.P zone. Its well-known wine is the Mavro Messenikola that is both good and affordable, aged in French oak barrels. Visits of discovery are welcome.

Katafili (Selipiana)
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The area of Katafili village was called Selipiana, taken from the name of the kingdom of Selipos which existed there in 285 B.C. The area abounds in archaeological ruins and artefacts, including walls which date from the Hellenistic period, coins, residences, graves, and statues.

Katafylliou bridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

This bridge crosses the Acheloos river and features five arches. It was built in the early 20th century.

Kitsos Makris Museum, Kanalia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

At an altitude of 350 metres and 14 km from Karditsa, the picturesque village of Kanalia is found on the foothills of the Agrafon Mountains is home to the folk artist Kitsos Makris who founded a museum 1979. The museum also displays an interesting array of farm and household tools and a photographic library.

Konaki of Ekrem Bey
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Dating from the Ottoman era, a konaki is a house built for a lord or Bey. One of these is in Prodromos, and is where the 13th Ephorate of Prehistoric & Classical Antiquities is housed.

Konstantinos and Eleni Church, Asimochori
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Asimochori within the municipality of Tamasi and 5km from Leontari is a small village in a beautiful hilly setting. The old church of Konstantinos and Eleni, built in 1887, above the south entrance an inscription in Greek and Armenian with the date the church was founded and the name of the donor.

Korako bridge in Anthiro and Agorassia bridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Anthiro in the Argithea region boasts the remarkable bridge at Korako (Crow) built in1514 over the Aspropotamos River, uniting Thessaly with Epiros. This was the largest stone arch bridge of Greece until it was blown up in 1949 during the Greek Civil War. Another 14th century bridge lies 1.5 km from Agorassia.

Korona Monastery
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The notable Monastery of Korona stands near the village of Moschato within the Messenikolas area. The skull of Saint Seraphim was enshrined at this monastery.

Krioneri
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Krioneri is a village sited on the beautiful plateau of Nevropoli next to Lake Plastira. It lies within the forest and is known for its fertile fields, lush vegetation, and remarkable abundance of water. Krioneri lies at an altitude of 835 metres. The Valtorema and Krioneritiko rivers flow through the village district: the Krioneritiko is five kilometres in length. The natural springs and stone-built fountains of Kria Vrissi, Klouvio Nero, Kerassoula, Itia, Gidomantria, and Kastanoula are accessible by unpaved roads and footpaths. The woods of Krioneri include fir, oak, chestnuts and shrub cedars. The peak of Tsougri at 1,600 metres altitude has a shelter left from the rebels of the Greek Civil War. Other viewpoints in the village district include Alonia, Rahi near Lake Plastira, and Saint Georgios at the location of the Monastery within the woods.

Kriorema windmill and Tsiouka bridge, Messenikolas
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near Messenikolas there are ruins of the old watermill at Kriorema. The bridge of Tsiouka dates from the early 20th century and was blown up by resistance fighters during the Greek Civil War. There are also interesting old bridges on the road from Mitropoli to Messenikolas and the Monastery of Korona.

Leontito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Leontito is a village in the Athamanon Community which is literally surrounded by fir forest and fruit trees at an altitude of 1,000 metres. The Kriorema or Leontitis River flows through from the ranges of Delidimi and into the Acheloos, complete with trout-filled waters. The peak of Delidimi is 2,163 metres in altitude. From the peak of Tsournata, at an altitude of 2,163 metres, a stunning view extends toward Arta. Wildlife in the area includes hares, wild sheep, goats, and deer. Leontito boasts the following forests: Megalakos with firs and soft cedars, Profitis Ilias with firs, cedars and oaks, Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) forest with firs, cedars, shrub oak, and Agios Konstantinos with firs and cedars. There are also two caves in the region.

Marathos and Kapsali caves
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Marathos village is in the municipality of Acheloos, standing at an altitude of 640 metres. The Acheloos River crosses Marathos, combining several fresh water springs such as the Birta with a tap, the Dihali, and the Tsiongari. The woods include fir, plane trees, and shrub oak. There are caves at Kapsali and Marathos.

Marathos Village
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Marathos village within the Acheloos is at an altitude of 640 metres. The Acheloos River crosses Marathos, while several fresh water springs such as the Birta, Dihali, Tsiongari contribute to the beauty and drinking water of the area. The woods include fir, plane trees, and shrub oak. Caves are found at Kapsali and Marathos. At an altitude of 1,100 metres on Krania Peak, an exceptional view extends towards the Acheloos River and Spilia. On the top of fir-forested Mt. Stithos at an altitude of 1000 metres, there is also an excellent view of the Tsoumberikos Mountains and the Acheloos River. The peak of Mount Dol, at 1400 meters looks towards the Pindos mountain range.

Menelaida at Loutropigi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Loutropigi is located in a gorge a few kilometres above the Baths of Smokovo. The route to the village is historic as it starts from the ancient kingdom of the Dolopians, Menelaida. Segments of an ancient wall (Kastro) are found 4km north of the village at the site of Profitis Elias at an altitude of 995 metres.

Messenikolas Village
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Messenikolas is a village within the Plastiras municipality, 22 kilometres from Karditsa and only two from Morfovouni. The village lies in a natural amphitheatre at an altitude of 700 metres. The waters of the streams of Gravra and Aposkitis flow through the area, complete with rushing fountains and springs. Of the many peaks surrounding the village, Taxiarchis-Zabataka with an altitude of 1,000 metres is known for its abundant vegetation that includes the rare endemic species Messenicoliana Kentavria.

Metamorphosis Monastery at Vraggianna
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Vraggiana or Small Vraggiana (to differentiate it from another in a different region) is in the Argithea/Acheloos district. Murals from the 17th century at the churhc of Transfiguration (Metamorphosis) church are worth seeing. Also note the church of Agios Dimitrios built in 1892 by stonemasons from the Tzoumerka area.

Mezilou Bridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near the community of Vlasi, this single-arched bridge features semicircular construction and built during the Ottoman domination.

Milos watermill at Vathylakkos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Vathylakkos is a village in the municipality of Menelaides, 19 km from Kedros at an altitude of 800 metres. The village was founded in 1850 and features a stone watermill built in 1901 at Milos, 4 km north of the village. The mill is in good condition and belongs to the Church of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin.

Monastery of Agia Triada at Drakotrypa
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Lying in Drakotrypa, Agrafa, this old monastery was built at 800 meters and once boasted a great library with only a few of its books surviving today. Only the church remains intact.

Monastery of Agios Giorgos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Krioneri is a village sited on the beautiful plateau of Nevropoli next to Lake Plastira. The nearby Monastery of Agios Giorgos in the woods is worth a visit, so is the Palaiohorafa recreation area for a picnic.

Monastery of Agios Giorgos (Karaiskakis)
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near Mavromati, this female monastery has a cruciform church in the courtyard with a dome and a tiled roof. The icon screen on the inside is gold plated and features religious paintings.

Monastery of Birth of the Virgin, Vlassi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Vlassi (Athamanon Community), 27 kilometers from Mouzaki, is home to the Monastery of the Birth of the Virgin built between1600 and 1620. Note the vaulted ceiling chapel with a large portico on the west. The original carved wood altar remains intact and its earlier murals date from 1644.

Monastery of Holy Trinity of Siaika, Karoplessi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The monastery of the Holy Trinity of Siaika lies in Karoplessi (Itamos region). The original church from 1540 remains, with a cross-beamed roof and with wall paintings from 1641. The skull of Agios Stilianos Paflagonos is kept within the monastery. The icon of the Holy Trinity dates from 1528.

Monastery of Holy Trinity, Filakti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Filakti lies on the steep hills of the Voutsikaki Mountains in Nevropolis-Agrafon at 1200 metres. The 17th century monastery still has the original church with a portico on its western side and an interior hall. The carved wood altar screen from 1852 and 17th century frescoes are the pride of the village.

Monastery of Holy Trinity, Morfovouni
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Morfovouni, 18 km southwest of Karditsa, boasts the Monastery of the Holy Trinity just 2km southeast of the village. It contains a church of the style of Mount Athos built in 1858 on the site of an older one. It also functioned also as a sanatorium between 1938 and 1943, before being burned by the Italians.

Monastery of Kosti, Stefaniada
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Monastery of Kosti is found near Stefaniada (Municipality of Athamanon), set around Lake Stefaniada. Nearby, Koubourinana also houses the Church of the Holy Virgin (rebuilt on the site of an older church in 1930) and the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior (built between 1600 and 1650) among others.

Monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, Kastania
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near Kastania within a fir tree forest, on the eastern slopes of the mountain of Pirgoulis at 1000 metres and 3km from Mouha, lies the old monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin. The original church of Agios Trifonas is still standing.

Monastery of the Assumption, Rendina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin is 6km east of Rendina in a lovely oak forest. Built in 1579 in the Mount Athos style with a dome, portico and two churches, it has frescos from the 17th century and an altar screen of carved wood, covered by gold leaf.

Monastery of the Birth of Holy Virgin, Sarantaporos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Sarantaporos, near the village of Neraida in the municipality of Itamos, is home to the legendary monastery of the Birth of the Holy Virgin or Monastery of Spinasas dating from 1608. The only original part of the monastery left is the church with wooden roof and religious murals of 1651 showing its abbot.

Monastery of the Birth of Virgin Mary – Katousi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Metamorfosi (formerly Katousi) this monastery dates from the 16th century but only the church survives, with frescoes dating from 1663. Its icons are in the community’s church museum.

Monastery of the Holy Virgin, Koubouriana
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Koubouriana within the municipality of Athamanon lies an altitude of 1050 meters. The area’s most notable religious is the 17th century Monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, also known as the Spilias (Cave) lying at an altitude of 800 meters.

Monastery of the Rock of Katafigio (uninhabited), Katafigio
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Katafigio is a village within Itamos township. On the forest road from Katafigi going towards Ayios Athanasios Lampero, is the Monastery of the Rock of Katafigio at an altitude of 600 meters. Uninhabited today, this monastery dates from 1553. It is like those of Mount Athos in type, built as a crossed four-pillared church with a portico on the western side and two interior spaces. The monastery is one of the most important monuments of the area: the altar screen, original wall paintings and the proscenium are preserved.
The monastery was ruined in 1900, but came into use again between 1920 and 1930. Its buildings underwent many changes, the latest being the demolition of the 80 monks’ cells in 1968. According to legend, the original icons of the monastery were found by the rocky promontory next to the monastery, which is where its name came from. These icons are today on display at the cathedral in Karditsa.

Mosaics and temple remains at Pefkofito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Pefkofito, meaning Planted Pine is a beautiful village at 730 metres altitude within the Mouzaki region. At the site of Palea Theotokos, archaeological excavations have revealed the foundations of older temples with mosaic floors.

Mosaics in Fanari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of Zoodochos Pigi (Source of Life) in Fanari was built atop an ancient Roman bath.

Moschato bridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The bridge of Moschato, 1 km from the village and next to the newer bridge, crosses tributaries to the Pamisos River. The old bridge dates to the end of the 18th century, has a single arch and is built of limestone blocks. It is three meters high with a six-meter arch. It is in good condition.

Mountains around Kedros
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kedros – meaning cedar – is a village at an altitude of 567 metres with the peak of Katachloros at 984 metres being a two-hour hike from the village. The area is full of forests with deciduous trees, oaks and cedars. The nearby peak of Kolokria at 635 meters boasts cedars and wild roses, and is just half an hour from the village. The area’s river is full of local types of fish such as Sirtia, Ladouses, Kefalia and Platitses.

Museum of Vlassi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Vlassi in the Athamanon region at an altitude of 1,100 meters boasts an impressive view of the monastery. Vlassi is 27 kilometers from Mouzaki. At the local museum, religious artefacts from the church are on display as well as original icons from the altar screen.

Mycenaean remains at Paleokastro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ano and Kato Ktimeni lie in the municipality of Tamassi. Historically, Ktimeni was the capital of the ancient kingdom of Dolopas. Within the village district at the site of Paleokastro are remains of Mycenaean walls (1300 BC), and at Kastri, Mycenaean tombs have been found.

Mycenaean tomb at Xinoneri
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Xinoneri is part of the Mitropoli region, lies 8 km from Karditsa. A Mycenaean tomb of almost 14 square km was discovered on a hill between Xinoneri and neighbouring Agios Giorgios. Ongoing archaeological excavations will undoubtedly render this site more important.

Neochori
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Neohori is a village spread on the hill slopes above Lake Plastira at an altitude of 900-1050 metres. Birds make up a wonderful part of the natural environment and native species include the redneck, wild canary, and the wood thrush. Foxes and wolves are still present in the area. The old village school has been redesigned to serve as the Centre for Environmental Education, Research, and Information and maintains an up-to-date environmental database,while managing natural resources and helping protect the ecosystem of the area.
The Botanical Gardens of Neohori are open daily and welcome visitors to enjoy the brush covered ecosystem of the region, as well as a tree nursery containing linden trees, firs, water plants, herbs and ornamental plants. There is an unexplored cave at Neohori named Drakotripa (Dragon Hole). A wonderful view towards the Plain of Thessaly and region can be enjoyed from the visitor’s hostels of the village.

Nunnery of Agios Giorgos, Mavromati
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Mavromati, 30 km from Karditsa and deep within the forests and 2km before one arrives at the village, is the remarkable nunnery of Saint George of the Mavromati, built in the Mount Athos style. It was built in about 1550 and its wall paintings date from 1657.

Oxia and Paleohori bridges
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Oxia (meaning beech tree) in the Mouzaki region has a century-old stone mill at Paliabela that is still in use. In Paleohori there is an old arched bridge that unites it with Oxia. Another old bridge is found at the site called Tsiligeika. Do visit also the 17th century Monastery of the Holy Trinity in the area.

Pakkes watermill and fountains at Kriopigi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Kriopigi (meaning Cold Spring) features an old watermill called Pakkes in the village which was built in 1890. The springs of Megali Vrissi (meaning Big Fountain) and Sikia (Fig Tree) are also worth a visit.

Palamas Folk Museum
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Karagouna collections, utensils, costumes and artefacts reflecting the culture of the people called Karagounides, traditionally farmers who worked under Ottoman lords in ancient times. They are known for their ornate costumes, celebrations, Christmas ceremonies, dances, grand widdings, and culinary customs.

Paleokamara Korakonissiou Bridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ellinika in the Argithea region boasts the Paleokamara Korakonissiou, a stone, single arched bridge over the Arentio or Polineriti River, built in 1241. This bridge lies 5 km northwest of the village and is in good condition. From the bridge a footpath leads to the Acheloos river. Enjoy great views there as well.

Paleokastro at Porti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Porti, six kilometres northwest of Mouzaki was referred to by the ancient author Polyvio as the settlement of Akron, featuring an army bastion of the Athamanon king, Aminandro. At the site of Paleokastro, remnants of ancient walls of archaeological interest are still present.

Paliovrisi fountain in Loutro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Loutro is an old village in the municipality of Menelaides, 24 km from Karditsa at an altitude of 247 metres. Within the village itself, the stone-built fountain of Paliovrisi is a local landmark.

Panagia Pelekiti Monastery
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Taking its name from the rock that was carved out to host the monastery, Panagia Pelekiti was constructed in 1480 AD. It houses two priceless relics that are placed in the monastery’s two churches, Panagia Faneromeni (Virgin Mary) and Analipsi (Ascension).

Pelasgians, Alopians and Ethiopes in Petroto
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Archaeological artefacts demonstrate that the village district has been continuously occupied from the Roman and Byzantine periods to the modern era. Protected archaeological sites are located at the sites of Paleokastro and Gournarakia.

Petrilioti Bridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Built by the bishops of Epirus, this bridge is another of great bridges in the area from a bygone era.

Plastiras museum, Morfovouni
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Past Messenikolas lies the picturesque village of Morfovouni or Vounessi, 18 km southwest of Karditsa. The Plastiras Museum has a permanent photo exhibit of Nikolaos Plastiras’ life, the illustrious politician whom Lake Plastiras was named after and who came from this village.

Rare plants in Brontari Gorge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Rare species of plants can be found within the gorge of Brontari near Portitsa (Mitropoli region), a 300 metres long canyon two kilometres from the village, accessible by the forest road that goes from Portitsa towards Agios Giorgios. The woods of Kiri spread above the village itself. The view from the limestone peak of Bombirotripa, at an elevation of 762 metres, overlooks the plains of Thessaly and is enchanting. The peak is also the site of well-preserved walls of an ancient acropolis. Another lovely view can be seen from the top of the hill of Profitis Elias. At the area called Alonia, a stone-paved footpath of a kilometre in length leads to the centre of the village.

Remains at Neraida
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Neraida lies 41 km from Karditsa and is part of Itamo municipality. Around the village area, sites with ancient artefacts and graves have been located.

Remains of Orthi near Kedros
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kedros is a village rich in history and archaeological tradition. In the woods of Saint Nikolaos, 2 km northwest of the village, the ruins of the ancient city of Orthi were discovered. Old coins, the entrance of a fortified wall to the city, and the ancient cemetery have also been found.

Rivers and mountain peaks around Dafnospilia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Dafnospilia is a village within the Kallifoni region. It is 17 kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 570 metres. The Kalentzis River flows near Dafnospilia. It has a length of 40 kilometres from a source near Apidia and Amarantos and is a tributary of the Pineus. In its waters are fresh water mullet, briana fish and ladouses. Near Dafnospilia there are three springs: the fresh water spring of Mana, the mineral springs of Kaloyianni, and the spring of Vavara. The thickly vegetated peak of Prioni has an elevation of 700 metres and is accessible by car about half the distance to the peak. On the peak of Kazarma there is an observation point at about 600 metres altitude. It is three kilometres west of the village and accessible by a dirt road. The smaller peak of Drakovouni east of the village is also accessible by unpaved road. Among the natural attractions of the village area is a large cave within limestone.

Sarantaporos near Neraida
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near the village of Neraida in the municipality of Itamos, the new village of Sanrataporos reveals sites with ancient artefacts and graves that have been found in the vicinity. There are also walls of an ancient city located on the flood plains of the river Megdova.

School and Karra Bridge of Kastania
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kastania is a resort village at an altitude of 800 metres within a fir tree forest. Its area includes the northern slope of the peak of Tsouka on Mount Itamos. The old school is a well-known landmark. Younger monuments include a stone-built, single arch bridge called the Karra.

Settlement evidence and graves at Rentina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

At an altitude of 900 meters, Rentina (pronounced Redina or Rendina) reveals walls of ancient prehistoric settlements that have been found in the area, as well as graves dating from the 4th and 3rd centuries BC.

Smokovo & Redina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

A lovely area filled with water, the Onochonos river rushes from its source in Xerovouni down to the gorge of Loutropigi, then on to Kedros, Sofades and the Pineas. The river contains native fish species called ladouses, as well as freshwater mullet. In the region of Redina where the Onochonos also passes through, there are some 7500 acres of forested land, mostly fir and chestnut forests, with various species of wildlife as well.

Sofades Folk Museum
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Strange tools, handwoven rugs, local embroidery, amusing antiques and odd pots are part of this diverse museum in the quaint town of Sofades which counts 6,500 inhabitants. The town also features some remarkable churches and is near various archaeological ruins.

Spilias Holy Monastery, Eastern Argithea
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

This monastery in Eastern Argithea commands a stunning location built on a massive rock some 800 meters high. A small church from the 16th century and one built in 1736 are inside. The monastery played a role in the revolution and liberation of Greece.

Stefaniotiko bridge, Eastern Argithea
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

If you’re in the area, ask where the bridge as Tragazia is within the eastern part of Argithea.

Stone bridge at Pefkofito and watermills at Vamvakies
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Pefkofito, meaning Planted Pine, is a beautiful village at 730 metres altitude within the Mouzaki region. Important local sites of interest include the stone arched bridge, called the Paleokamara(photo), which tradition states is the work of Saint Vissarionas. The village has reserved two stone watermills at Vamvakies.

Stone bridge of Glavas and fountains of Amarantos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Amarantos (Itamo municipality) there is a stone bridge at the Glavas area, about 3 km east of the village towards Dafnospilia. Three picturesque fountains of Amarantos are Kalafouto, the historic spring at the peak of the village, Malagari with crystalline waters and Karali at the highest point of the village.

Stone fountains of Filakti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Filakti sits at the end of a long but beautiful country road 32 km from Karditsa. It lies on the steep slopes of the Voutsikaki Mountains at 1200 metres facing south. The village has many stone fountains such as those of Papadeiki, Xerovrisi and in the forest at the Ennea Nera (Fountain of 9 Waters).

Stone watermill and Paliantoni Bridge, Fountoto
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Fountoto(photo)(meaning Thick-Leafed) is a village within the municipality of Athamanon. It is 5 km from Petrilo at an altitude of 1,250 metres in the foothills of Mount Delidimi. The stone watermill and old stone Paliantoni Bridge are quaint remnants of traditional village style.

Temple of Apollo at Lianokokkalo, Mitropoli
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Mitropoli, the capital of the municipality by the same name, is about 9 km from Kardista. An ancient temple dedicated to Apollo was recently discovered at the area called Lianokokkalo.

The Acheloos River at Argithea
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

This is the third longest river in Greece, emanating from the Pindos Mountains and running through gorgeous landscape as it reaches Argithea. It also forms the little lake of Stephaniada which took it shape thanks to landslides in the area. The lake is 130 meters deep at certain points.

The bridge of Mascholouri
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Constructed sometime between the 12th and 15th century, this is one of the oldest in the region and links together the banks of the Sofaditis river. It is a three-arched bridge with, interestingly, Persian influence.

Thrapsimi Folk Museum
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Thrapsimi within the municipality of Menlaides as a folk museum that features many local traditional tools and crafts.

Tower of Ithomi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Fortress of Ithomi, otherwise known as the Pirgos or Tower, is 700 to 800 metres southeast of the village by the same name (Pirgos Ithomis) at an altitude of 364 metres. It was built of massive stone blocks layer by layer. The ruins of the ancient acropolis of the city of Ithomi surround the Tower. It was built by the Pelasgians, peoples who preceded the Greeks. There are still traces of fortifications around the perimeter of the tower, as well as some other structures from that period.

Traditional fountains and bridge of Rendina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Written also as Rentina and pronounced Redina, this traditional village has impressive stone-built fountains and noteworthy architecture. Ten kilometres from the village at the site of Dipotamos is the stone bridge of Kalogeropoulou.

Trizolou footbridge
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In the community of Karya, there’s a stone bridge that was built in the 13th century joining the villages of eastern Argithea with the western part. This is the longest single-arched bridge in Thessaly!

Tsiolis Winery, Moschato
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The wine-ageing cellar and wine-tasting hall of Konstantinos Tsiolis is in the village of Moschato. Local grapes used for this good wine are Roditis, Asyritiko, Malagozia, Syrah and Black Mesenikola, as well as local variety Limniona.

Vatsounia Village
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Vatsounia is ten kilometres from the centre of Mouzaki at an altitude of 430 meters. The village has its own special natural beauty and is sparsely populated. The area is thickly forested by chestnut, fir and oak trees. Chemical analyses demonstrate that the fresh waters of Vatsounia are among the purest in Greece. There are three local springs, but only one, the Sklithro Spring, is easily accessible by footpath.

Wall remains at Vimberotripa
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Portitsa is a village near Metropoli, 12 km from Karditsa. The limestone peak of Vimberotripa at an elevation of 762 metres is a site of well-preserved walls of an ancient acropolis, with full view towards the plains of Thessaly.

Walls near Morfovouni
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Following the road past Messenikolas one arrives at the picturesque village of Morfovouni (aka Vounessi), 18 kilometres southwest of Karditsa. Two kilometres east of the village at the Paleokastro locality is an archaeological preserve containing the ruins of ancient walls.

Watermill and bridge in Drossato
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Drossato in the Athamanon area has a stonebuilt watermill about 150 years old. Village houses are stone built, dated 150-200 years. Stone shepherds’ cottages can be seen in the Monoplati area. A wonderful stone arched bridge between Drossato and Tirologos from the Ottoman era is declared a national monument.

Watermill of Kedros
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kedros is a village at an altitude of 567 metres as we leave the Plain of Thessaly for the Agrafa Mountains. The centuries-old watermill, which is still in use today, is among the more notable landmarks of the village.

Watermill of Therino
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Therino is a traditional village 10 km northwest of Argithea, At an altitude of 870 metres. An old watermill dating from about 1870 still stands at a site called Goura.

Woods of Agios Giorgos in Loutro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Loutro is an old village of Menelaides region located twenty kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 247 metres. The natural area of the village is lovely. The woods of Agios Giorgos extends over 500 acres with dense oak forests. Foxes, hares and wolves thrive in the woods.

Zografos mansion and industrial heritage, Lazarina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Lazarina in the Mouzaki district has the mansion of landowner Christos Zografos, built in 1986, representing the industrial heritage and economy of the area then. This included Greece’s first sugar refinery and rice mill, parts of which can still be seen. There are efforts to incorporate these into an industrial museum.

Ancient Athamanon in Argithea
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The traditional village of Argithea was once where the ancient capital of Athamania was located, some two kilometres west of the village at a site called Ellinika. Excavations have revealed large walls 15 metres in height, ancient residences, preserved remnants of the walls around the city, parts of the statues and their pedestals, an ancient cemetery on the eastern side of the old city, and another to the west (4th to 1st century BC), more than 180 enclosed tombs, and limestone plaques from local stone along with a wealth of funeral gifts. A pillaged memorial tomb plus tombstone stele and artefacts rich with inscriptions have all been unearthed. This is the most important of all archaeological sites of ancient Athamanon. Excavations have revealed large walls 15 metres in height, ancient residences, preserved remnants of the walls around the city, parts of the statues and their pedestals, an ancient cemetery on the eastern side of the old city, and another to the west (4th to 1st century BC), more than 180 enclosed tombs, and limestone plaques from local stone along with a wealth of funeral gifts. A pillaged memorial tomb plus tombstone stele and artefacts rich with inscriptions have all been unearthed. This is the most important of all archaeological sites of ancient Athamanon.

Ancient Athamanon tombs and graves
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Koumbouriana within Athamanon lies an altitude of 1050 meters. The Kato Choro or ‘lowlands’ of the area have been characterised as an official archaeological district with ruins of many old buildings and numerous ancient tombs and graves.

Ancient Dolopia at Belokomitis
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

At the area called Plagia near Belokomitis, a building site and parts of ancient walls from the time of the ancient Dolopians (6th century BC) were discovered. At the Panigiraki site, a house dating from the 6th century AD was excavated. At Paliospita, there’s a settlement dating between the 8th to 10th centuries AD.

Ancient Dolopia at Karitsa
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Karitsa of the Dolopons is one of the older villages of Nevropolis and was continually occupied since the Byzantine era. At Paliohori just past the village of Karitsa near the river there are archaeological ruins belonging to the ancient Dolopes. Artefacts reveal that the settlement dates from the 3rd century BC.

Ancient Gomfoi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The site of the ancient city of Gomfoi (pronounced Gomfi) is located 2 km northwest of Episkopi within the region of Mouzaki. The ruins of Gomfoi include a fortified wall, part of which was recently excavated.
In 48 B.C., Gomfoi initially took the side of Pompey following the policy of the Commons of Thessaly. The Gomfians refused to open their gates to the army of Caesar, and after a lengthy siege Caesar overtook the city. In the sixth century AD during the reign of Justinian, the fortifications of the city were strengthened and during the Byzantine era it became the seat of a Bishopric.

Ancient Kallithiro at Agios Athanasios
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kallithiro in Itamo features an archaeological dig on the hill of Agios Athanasios which revealed artefacts from the ancient city of Kallithiro. The city was supposedly destroyed in a fire in 220 to 230 BC. Three more archaeological sites are within the inhabited part of the village.

Ancient Menelaida, Kastania
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Kastania, a resort village at an altitude of 800 metres near fir tree forest, there are remains of an ancient fortress, said to be remains of the ancient city of Menelaida.

Artefacts from Ancient Athamanon at Leontito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Two kilometres from Leontito in the Athamanon area excavations have revealed artefacts probably belonging to the ancient Athamanon. There are also remains from the Middle Ages.

Box-shaped graves in Apidia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Apidia Village in the Kallifoni area (23 km from Karditsa and 11 km from the village of Kallifoni) lies on of 330 metres. Ancient box-shaped graves have been found in the Apidia district that link it with habitation in antiquity.

Byzantine baths of Loxada
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Loxada, there are Byzantine baths, which have yet to be excavated in full.

Cave of Andrea the Thief of Limeri, Moschato
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Moschato is in the Plastiras municipality and is16 kilometres from Karditsa, located at an altitude of 450 metres. Near the village is the Cave of Andrea the Thief of Limeri. Surely there are legends surrounding this cave.

Dolopian walls at Leontari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Leontari (pronounced Leondari) is in the municipality of Tamasi. The name of the village is taken from that of King Leontio, who, according to ancient history, ruled the region and was the brother-in-law to the King of Rendina, Menelaus. Ancient walls of the Dolopons can be found at the border of the village.

Graves at Anavra
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Anavra is a village within the municipality of Tamassi, and is 28 km from Karditsa. Ancient graves have been found in the area testifying to its long history of continual occupation.

Katafili (Selipiana)
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The area of Katafili village was called Selipiana, taken from the name of the kingdom of Selipos which existed there in 285 B.C. The area abounds in archaeological ruins and artefacts, including walls which date from the Hellenistic period, coins, residences, graves, and statues.

Menelaida at Loutropigi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Loutropigi is located in a gorge a few kilometres above the Baths of Smokovo. The route to the village is historic as it starts from the ancient kingdom of the Dolopians, Menelaida. Segments of an ancient wall (Kastro) are found 4km north of the village at the site of Profitis Elias at an altitude of 995 metres.

Mosaics and temple remains at Pefkofito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Pefkofito, meaning Planted Pine is a beautiful village at 730 metres altitude within the Mouzaki region. At the site of Palea Theotokos, archaeological excavations have revealed the foundations of older temples with mosaic floors.

Mosaics in Fanari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of Zoodochos Pigi (Source of Life) in Fanari was built atop an ancient Roman bath.

Mycenaean remains at Paleokastro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ano and Kato Ktimeni lie in the municipality of Tamassi. Historically, Ktimeni was the capital of the ancient kingdom of Dolopas. Within the village district at the site of Paleokastro are remains of Mycenaean walls (1300 BC), and at Kastri, Mycenaean tombs have been found.

Mycenaean tomb at Xinoneri
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Xinoneri is part of the Mitropoli region, lies 8 km from Karditsa. A Mycenaean tomb of almost 14 square km was discovered on a hill between Xinoneri and neighbouring Agios Giorgios. Ongoing archaeological excavations will undoubtedly render this site more important.

Paleokastro at Porti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Porti, six kilometres northwest of Mouzaki was referred to by the ancient author Polyvio as the settlement of Akron, featuring an army bastion of the Athamanon king, Aminandro. At the site of Paleokastro, remnants of ancient walls of archaeological interest are still present.

Pelasgians, Alopians and Ethiopes in Petroto
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Archaeological artefacts demonstrate that the village district has been continuously occupied from the Roman and Byzantine periods to the modern era. Protected archaeological sites are located at the sites of Paleokastro and Gournarakia.

Remains at Neraida
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Neraida lies 41 km from Karditsa and is part of Itamo municipality. Around the village area, sites with ancient artefacts and graves have been located.

Remains of Orthi near Kedros
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kedros is a village rich in history and archaeological tradition. In the woods of Saint Nikolaos, 2 km northwest of the village, the ruins of the ancient city of Orthi were discovered. Old coins, the entrance of a fortified wall to the city, and the ancient cemetery have also been found.

Sarantaporos near Neraida
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near the village of Neraida in the municipality of Itamos, the new village of Sanrataporos reveals sites with ancient artefacts and graves that have been found in the vicinity. There are also walls of an ancient city located on the flood plains of the river Megdova.

Settlement evidence and graves at Rentina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

At an altitude of 900 meters, Rentina (pronounced Redina or Rendina) reveals walls of ancient prehistoric settlements that have been found in the area, as well as graves dating from the 4th and 3rd centuries BC.

Temple of Apollo at Lianokokkalo, Mitropoli
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Mitropoli, the capital of the municipality by the same name, is about 9 km from Kardista. An ancient temple dedicated to Apollo was recently discovered at the area called Lianokokkalo.

Tower of Ithomi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Fortress of Ithomi, otherwise known as the Pirgos or Tower, is 700 to 800 metres southeast of the village by the same name (Pirgos Ithomis) at an altitude of 364 metres. It was built of massive stone blocks layer by layer. The ruins of the ancient acropolis of the city of Ithomi surround the Tower. It was built by the Pelasgians, peoples who preceded the Greeks. There are still traces of fortifications around the perimeter of the tower, as well as some other structures from that period.

Wall remains at Vimberotripa
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Portitsa is a village near Metropoli, 12 km from Karditsa. The limestone peak of Vimberotripa at an elevation of 762 metres is a site of well-preserved walls of an ancient acropolis, with full view towards the plains of Thessaly.

Walls near Morfovouni
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Following the road past Messenikolas one arrives at the picturesque village of Morfovouni (aka Vounessi), 18 kilometres southwest of Karditsa. Two kilometres east of the village at the Paleokastro locality is an archaeological preserve containing the ruins of ancient walls.

Byzantine castle at Fanari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The only remaining Byzantine castle of the region is in the beautiful village of Fanari, located on a forested hill at an altitude of 450 meters, 15 km northwest of Karditsa. This is the best preserved fortress in all of Western Thessaly and dates from the 12th century. Note the lovely stone-built cottages of the area too.

Castle remains in Katafigi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Katafigi is a village within the municipality of Itamos. Therein lie the ruins of an ancient castle, testifying to the area’s long history of occupation.

Aetofolia Cave in Agios Akakios
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Agios Akakios in Ithomi, 10 km from Fanari, lies the cave of Aetofolia (Eagle’s nest). It is 260 metres long and at least 40,000 years old. This great cave is northwest of the village and easily accessible. Its walls have been polished by the flow of water marked by amazing stalactites and stalagmites.

Cave at Paleokaria, Stefaniada
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Stefaniada is a village within the municipality of Athamanon. At Paleokaria there is an unexplored cave.

Cave near Mitropoli
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

At a distance of five kilometres from Mitropoli are the woods called, Hilia Dendra (a thousand trees), a source of water and shade with tavernas and coffee shops for visitors. Five kilometres east of Mitropoli is a cave with stalagmites and stalactites.

Cave of Arapi in Ellinokastro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ellinokastro (meaning Hellenic Castle) within the Municipality of Mouzaki at an altitude of 550 meters has a magnificent view looking towards the ridge-crests of the Pindos Range. The cave of the Arapi (meaning Black Man) can be reached part of the distance by dirt road, and the remainder by a rugged mountain path.

Cave of Gaki, Belokomiti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The largely unexplored Cave of Gaki contains stalactites and stalagmites. Notable caves in the area are also those of Kaimakia in the canyon of the Karitsiotis River. The nearby peaks of Mourlero at 2032 meters and Karamanolis at 1700 meters offer great views of Plastiras Lake.

Caves at Leontito
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Leontito is a village in the Athamanon Community surrounded by fir forest and fruit trees. Two caves have been located in the region.

Caves at Petroto
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village district of Petroto (meaning ‘rock strewn’) is 54 from Mouzaki and 12 kilometres from Anthiro and Kali Komi. Its altitude is 650 metres. The caves of Meintani, Haidodi, and Avrisko are found within the Petroto area.

Caves of Kleftovrissi and Stavros at Anthiro
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Anthiro is is 50 kilometres from Mouzaki and 36 kilometres from Pili, Trikala. There are two caves in Anthiro: the Kleftovrissi (Bandit Spring) and the Stavros (The Cross).

Caves of Skala at Porti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Porti, 6 km northwest of Mouzaki has an altitude of 650 metres. Forested areas and Mount Itamos offer great views and nature. There are caves at the locality called Skala.

Dimakotripa and Arkoudotripa in Thrapsimi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Thrapsimi in Menelaides is 30 km from both Karditsa and Sofades at an altitude of 650 metres. Two caves are found within the limestone ‘Rock’, 1500 metres northwest of the village: these are Arkoudotripa (Bear Hole) and Dimakotripa (Hole of Dimakos) with a depth of about thirty square metres.

Drakotripa Cave in Pezoula
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Somewhere in the region of Pezoula, Neraida and Neohori, on the hills above Lake Plastira, there are reports of an unexplored cave called Drakotripa (Dragon’s Hole) on the way to the peak of Karamanolis. Ask the locals for more information.

Hole of Lolo, Ellinopirgos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Ellinopirgos is 27 km from Karditsa and lies in municipality of Ithomi. It is a picturesque settlement built in a natural amphitheatre at 640 metres altitude. The village has been designated a site for cultural preservation. Near the watermill, an unexplored cave is found called the Hole of Lolo.

Kaimakia Cave in Karvassaras
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Karvassaras is a village within the municipality of Nevropoli Agrafon with an altitude of 1200 metres. The Cave of Kaimakia is unexplored, located 5 km along the road from Vainia towards Petrilo, 500 metres to the right of the road. A rushing stream flows from the cave and over a small waterfall.

Marathos and Kapsali caves
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Marathos village is in the municipality of Acheloos, standing at an altitude of 640 metres. The Acheloos River crosses Marathos, combining several fresh water springs such as the Birta with a tap, the Dihali, and the Tsiongari. The woods include fir, plane trees, and shrub oak. There are caves at Kapsali and Marathos.

Agios Nikolaos and Virgin Mary Monastery, Mesovouni
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Mesovouni in the municipality of Argithea, and at a height of 1050 meters, features the Church of Agios Nikolaos, as well as the Monastery of the Birth of the Virgin Mary dating from the 17th century. Only the altar screen has been saved from the original building as the church was rebuilt in 1904.

Agios Nikolaos in Agios Akakios, Ithomi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Agios Akakios in Ithomi, 10 km from Fanari boasts the church of Agios Nikolaos, with a single chambered basilica from the 14th century. Some original wall paintings have been preserved. Not far is a small cave used as a religious shrine and hermitage of Agios Akakios.

Agios Nikolaos Monastery, Therino
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Therino is a traditional village 10 km northwest of Argithea. At an altitude of 870 metres, it is home to the Monastery of Agios Nikolaos which boasts a carved wooden altar screen with icons that date from around 1850.

Assumption of Holy Virgin, Gelanthi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Gelanthi is a village three kilometres from the township centre of Mouzaki. The Chapel of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, built in 1813, possesses a characteristic eight-sided dome and imposing bell-tower that dates from 1889.

Assumption of Holy Virgin, Krania, Petrilo
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The historic village of Petrilo is situated 30 km southwest of Mouzaki at an altitude of 1200 metres. Nearby, the church or the Assumption of the Holy Virgin built in 1884 in Krania has a cross-beamed dome and is worth discovering.

Assumption of the Holy Virgin, Petrohori
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Petrohori is home to the church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, with a vaulted, wooden roof, religious wall paintings dating to the 1730s, and a notable carved wooden altar screen. The cemetery boasts the church of Agia Paraskevi with a stone built basilica, plus alter screen and frescos from the 17th century.

Birth of Christ church, Rossi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The church of the Birth of Christ in the village of Rossi was built in the 17th century (1662), featuring exceptional wall paintings and wooden carved altar screen of Agios Pantelemon with important icons.

Church of Agios Athanassios, Kedros
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Kedros is a village at an altitude of 567 metres as we leave the Plain of Thessaly for the Agrafa Mountains. The Church of Agios Athanassios there dates from 1777 and has been designated as a cultural monument.

Church of Holy Trinity, Dafnospilia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Dafnospilia in the municipality of Kallifoni is 17 kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 570 metres. In the Church of the Holy Trinity there is a wood-carved altar of great historic value. The skull of Saint Gregory of the Akragandinon (Bishop of the Akragandinon of Sicily) is safeguarded in the church.

Church of the Assumption, Vathylakkos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

There are many churches in Vathylakkos. The Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin within the village was built in 1777. The altar screen of the church has special historical significance as it was brought from Constantinople.

Church of the Birth of the Holy Virgin, Kastania
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The church in the centre of the village is dedicated to the Birth of the Holy Virgin, and the village celebrates its Holy Day on the 8th of September. The church has a woodcarved altar screen of walnut form the 18th century. The skull of Agios Trifonas is safeguarded within this church.

Church of Twelve Apostles, Pirgos Ithomis
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of the Twelve Apostles is 700 metres south-east of the village and is the only church of Pirgos Ithomis. Built as a basilica in the 19th century, it boasts a wood-carved altar screen crafted by woodworkers from Metsovo in 1850. The stone-built bell tower was added in 1930. One of its most interesting features are its excellent acoustics due to the incorporation of a system of clay amphorae within the walls when they were built. The Church has been declared a historic monument.

Churches of Agios Giorgos and Agios Nikolaos, Rendina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of Agios Giorgos on the village square of Rendina has a single chamber with wall frescos from 1719 and an exceptional wood-carved altar screen. The Church of Agios Nikolaοs, built in 1719, lies in the centre of the village within a grove of plane trees underneath an imposing rocky promontory.

Churches of Fanari
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Fanari, 15 km northwest of Karditsa, is the church of Agios Seraphim, built in 1930. Within its grounds is a small building at the site of his martyrdom and where the saint’s skull is safeguarded. The church of Saint John, built in 1886, features a carved wooden altar screen and a noteworthy bell tower. Also worthy of mention is the Chapel of the Source of Life, built atop an ancient Roman bath.

Churches of Kanalia
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Fourteen kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 350 metres, the picturesque village of Kanalia on the foothills of the Agrafa Mountains is home to the Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin with a domed basilica, built in 1894. The Chapel of Profitis Elias built in 1903 is a refuge of calm, situated on the heights above the village. The holy icon of the Holy Virgin of Kanalia church (4th or 5th century) is thought to be the work of the evangelist Luke. It is made of candle-gum and holds powerful religious significance.

Churches of the Ascension and Agios Dimitrios, Rendina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Church of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin, a very old building, contains an altar screen dated 1659 and sections of the original frescos. Also noteworthy at the entrance to the village is the chapel of Agios Dimitrios, built in 1662.

Konstantinos and Eleni Church, Asimochori
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Asimochori within the municipality of Tamasi and 5km from Leontari is a small village in a beautiful hilly setting. The old church of Konstantinos and Eleni, built in 1887, above the south entrance an inscription in Greek and Armenian with the date the church was founded and the name of the donor.

Korona Monastery
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The notable Monastery of Korona stands near the village of Moschato within the Messenikolas area. The skull of Saint Seraphim was enshrined at this monastery.

Metamorphosis Monastery at Vraggianna
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Vraggiana or Small Vraggiana (to differentiate it from another in a different region) is in the Argithea/Acheloos district. Murals from the 17th century at the churhc of Transfiguration (Metamorphosis) church are worth seeing. Also note the church of Agios Dimitrios built in 1892 by stonemasons from the Tzoumerka area.

Monastery of Agia Triada at Drakotrypa
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Lying in Drakotrypa, Agrafa, this old monastery was built at 800 meters and once boasted a great library with only a few of its books surviving today. Only the church remains intact.

Monastery of Agios Giorgos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Krioneri is a village sited on the beautiful plateau of Nevropoli next to Lake Plastira. The nearby Monastery of Agios Giorgos in the woods is worth a visit, so is the Palaiohorafa recreation area for a picnic.

Monastery of Agios Giorgos (Karaiskakis)
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near Mavromati, this female monastery has a cruciform church in the courtyard with a dome and a tiled roof. The icon screen on the inside is gold plated and features religious paintings.

Monastery of Birth of the Virgin, Vlassi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Vlassi (Athamanon Community), 27 kilometers from Mouzaki, is home to the Monastery of the Birth of the Virgin built between1600 and 1620. Note the vaulted ceiling chapel with a large portico on the west. The original carved wood altar remains intact and its earlier murals date from 1644.

Monastery of Holy Trinity of Siaika, Karoplessi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The monastery of the Holy Trinity of Siaika lies in Karoplessi (Itamos region). The original church from 1540 remains, with a cross-beamed roof and with wall paintings from 1641. The skull of Agios Stilianos Paflagonos is kept within the monastery. The icon of the Holy Trinity dates from 1528.

Monastery of Holy Trinity, Filakti
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Filakti lies on the steep hills of the Voutsikaki Mountains in Nevropolis-Agrafon at 1200 metres. The 17th century monastery still has the original church with a portico on its western side and an interior hall. The carved wood altar screen from 1852 and 17th century frescoes are the pride of the village.

Monastery of Holy Trinity, Morfovouni
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Morfovouni, 18 km southwest of Karditsa, boasts the Monastery of the Holy Trinity just 2km southeast of the village. It contains a church of the style of Mount Athos built in 1858 on the site of an older one. It also functioned also as a sanatorium between 1938 and 1943, before being burned by the Italians.

Monastery of Kosti, Stefaniada
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Monastery of Kosti is found near Stefaniada (Municipality of Athamanon), set around Lake Stefaniada. Nearby, Koubourinana also houses the Church of the Holy Virgin (rebuilt on the site of an older church in 1930) and the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior (built between 1600 and 1650) among others.

Monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, Kastania
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Near Kastania within a fir tree forest, on the eastern slopes of the mountain of Pirgoulis at 1000 metres and 3km from Mouha, lies the old monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin. The original church of Agios Trifonas is still standing.

Monastery of the Assumption, Rendina
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The Monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin is 6km east of Rendina in a lovely oak forest. Built in 1579 in the Mount Athos style with a dome, portico and two churches, it has frescos from the 17th century and an altar screen of carved wood, covered by gold leaf.

Monastery of the Birth of Holy Virgin, Sarantaporos
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

Sarantaporos, near the village of Neraida in the municipality of Itamos, is home to the legendary monastery of the Birth of the Holy Virgin or Monastery of Spinasas dating from 1608. The only original part of the monastery left is the church with wooden roof and religious murals of 1651 showing its abbot.

Monastery of the Birth of Virgin Mary – Katousi
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

In Metamorfosi (formerly Katousi) this monastery dates from the 16th century but only the church survives, with frescoes dating from 1663. Its icons are in the community’s church museum.

Monastery of the Holy Virgin, Koubouriana
Thessaly & Sporades / Karditsa (Lake Plastira)

The village of Koubouriana within the municipality of Athamanon lies an altitude of 1050 meters. The area’s most notable religious is the 17th century Monastery of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, also known as the Spilias (Cave) lying at an altitude of 800 meters.