Landmarks in Thessaly (Pelion, Meteora, etc.)


The village district of Petroto (meaning 'rock strewn') at 650 meters is 54 from Mouzaki, and 12 kilometres from Anthiro and Kali Komi. There are three stone bridges. The arched stone bridge at the Poupi locality dates from the 13th-14th centuries.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Agios Giorgos within the municipality of Mitropolis lies 12 kilometers from Karditsa at an altitude of 330 meters. The village has been declared a protected historic site by the Greek government.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
There are five old stone bridges in the area of Rahoula. The bridge at the gully of Sykias, about 6 km on the road between Rahoula and Kallithiro, is built of stone and has two arches. A large old single-arched stone bridge lies at the old road from Rahoula to Paleozoglopi at the site called Ktismata. There is a smaller, single arched stone bridge at a distance of 1.5 kilometres from the village at a site called Itia.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Currently used as a museum, it’s one of the finest examples of Muslim architecture in the country, and it’s a wonderfully unique venue for a number of cultural activities.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
There are two stone lighthouses on the mainland and three on the Sporades islands (Skopelos, Psathoura and Skiathos). The first, lighthouse of Trikeri was built in the farthest edge of the peninsula of Magnesia, in cape Kavoulia, by the French Company of Ottoman Lighthouses in 1854 with local materials. The nine-meter tower was built in 1918 for operating the rotatating light with petrol. It was supplied with electricity in 1979 and in 1995 it became automatic. The lighthouse of Argironissos which belongs to the Municipality of Pteleos, was built in 1899 on the eastern edge of the island. It operated on petrol initially but during the Second World War it remained closed and started functioning again in 1944. Recently it became automatic, powered by solar energy.
Photos: (6)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Built in 1884, this mill played a crucial role in the city’s history – present in all facets of industry, its place in the region’s economy was honored by turning it into a municipal arts center that also hosts a movie theater, classrooms for art courses and other cultural activities.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
This UNESCO World Heritage Site is made up of a network of Greek Orthodox Christian monasteries perched atop a complex of 1000 sandstone boulders, each soaring to 400-meters. Soaring to the sky, these imposing boulders were chosen by the first monks as ideal spiritual locations for monastic cells.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Ellinika in the Argithea region boasts the Paleokamara Korakonissiou, a stone, single arched bridge over the Arentio or Polineriti River, built in 1241. This bridge lies 5 km northwest of the village and is in good condition.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The once famous steam train of 1895, known as Mountzouris, is up and running once again! Today in goes from Lehonia to the town of Milies and was considered a technical marvel in its days passing over seven stone bridges and one metal bridge. Much of it the supporting infrastructure was designed by Italian engineer Evaristo de Chirico, whose son, Giorgio di Chirico was the famous surrealist painter and often included the train and its stations in his paintings.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Pefkofito, meaning Planted Pine, is a beautiful village at 730 metres altitude within the Mouzaki region.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Fountoto(photo)(meaning Thick-Leafed) is a village within the municipality of Athamanon. It is 5 km from Petrilo at an altitude of 1,250 metres in the foothills of Mount Delidimi.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Dating back to 1665, this old stone watermill is fully functional and has been restored to house a hydroengineering museum to portray the power of this clean source of energy.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
A little village with some 400 residents, Afetes has a great view of the Pegasitic Gulf. Noteworthy are the central square with the church of Agios Ioannis Prodromos (St. John the Forerunner) built by Demos Zoupaniotis from Epirus, known for its stonemasons. Note the mansions and arched bridges of the area too.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Anavros Park offers a wonderful walk by the sea featuring an aquarium and many sculptures done by well-known Greek and foreign artists. It emerged from the 1st international Sculpture Meeting in 1988. The nearby stream of Anavros was mentioned in Homer's epic.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Spanning 35 meters in length, the bow bridge of Agrosia was built in line with traditional architecture and is worth a visit.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Ellinopirgos (Ithomi region) is marked as a site for cultural preservation and retains many examples of traditional architecture. Favourites of visitors are the stone balcony of Agios Eleftherios and the watermill of Hantzi, both built in the last century. Near the watermill, an unexplored cave is found called Hole of Lolo.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
This village boasts haunting neoclassical mansions, as well as the church of the apostles Peter and Paul. It has a great marble belfry, two Russian bells and a Swiss clock, similar to another in Smyrna. The region's bridges are also impressive, in the past accessed by stone paths (Kalderimia).
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Neohori is a village spread on the hill slopes above Lake Plastira. It is 37 kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 900-1050 metres. The Botanical Gardens and tree nursery of Neohori are open on a daily basis and unveil ecosystem of the region. Enjoy linden trees, firs, water plants, herbs and ornamental plants.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Porti, six kilometres northwest of Mouzaki and 33 km from Karditsa, lies on an altitude of 650 metres. The village includes two watermills and an arched bridge over the river.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The Bridge of Katafili on the Ardanovo River was built in 1910 by an Italian engineer employing the locally renowned stonemasons from the Tzoumerka Mountains. The bridge has five arches (with a large central one) and spans a length of 50 meters, built from select local stone.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Vlassi in the municipality of Athamanon at an altitude of 1100 meters features impressive stone houses, four arched stone bridges and great views. The nearest to the village is called the Mezilo Bridge, located on the Tirologos area right before the village. The bridge is in good condition, and dates from around 1600.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Ano and Kato Ktimeni are jointly administered villages within the municipality of Tamassi. Its landmarks include the stone-built single arch bridge on the Draniotiko River, north-west of Kato Ktimeni and the double-arched bridge of Loutra.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Moschato, within the Plastiras municipality, one of the landmarks of interest is the stone-enhanced spring of Agios Prokopios, said to date from the end of the Byzantine era but rebuilt in 1905.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The town’s famous Clock Tower was rebuilt in 1936, but the old-world features that make it a favorite landmark among both locals and visitors will make you a fan. It stands proud in the middle of old and new buildings, and is one of the defining parts of Trikala.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Thrapsimi in the municipality of Menelaides is 31 km from both Karditsa and Sofades at an altitude of 650 metres. It features the preserved house of the priest Elias Katsis, built in 1925, a three-story stone mansion built by masons from Epiros. There is also a folk museum in the village.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Drakeia boasted a school in 1760, and before that residents dealt with sericulture, farming and woodcarving. The slated central square of the village is the oldest in Pelio and hosts the monument in memory of the 114 people from Drakeia that were executed by the Nazi occupation army.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
This beautiful stone bridge blends into the stunning natural surroundings in a way that will make you feel like you stepped into a fairy tale. Of course, Neraidohori means Fairy Village, which is an apt description of the beauty of the area.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Zagora is known for its silk and textiles, which merchants sent out on 'Zagoras ships' across the Mediterranean and Black Sea. The village has great mansions and the Hellinomouseion building founded in 1702, an old school of language, science, philosophy, etc. Noteworthy too is the Public Library of Zagora.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Only 21 km from Volos, this village offers picturesque houses and mansions. The most important building saved today is the house of Ioannidis built in 1888, considered a work of art with elaborate internal painting on the walls and the ceilings. See also the Monastery of Taxiarchs from 1538.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Kali Komi within the Argithea region features an old watermill(photo) that has been preserved, and was still in use until 1996. The village is also characterised by its stone-built houses more than a hundred years old.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Karia, 15 kilometres southwest of Argithea, is known for its 13th century bridge called Kamara. It is 3 km away from modern bridge of Agorassia and 800 metres from the highway at Vaitsa. It is 15.5 metres high with an open arch of 30 metres. It is built from limestone rocks on a foundation and in good condition.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
This bridge crosses the Acheloos river and features five arches. It was built in the early 20th century.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Dating from the Ottoman era, a konaki is a house built for a lord or Bey. One of these is in Prodromos, and is where the 13th Ephorate of Prehistoric & Classical Antiquities is housed.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Built in 1850, this is the oldest building in Kalambaka. Take a walk to the area and admire the unique architectural features that give you a taste of what the town looked like in the 19thC. It now houses a public school.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Anthiro in the Argithea region boasts the remarkable bridge at Korako (Crow) built in1514 over the Aspropotamos River, uniting Thessaly with Epiros. This was the largest stone arch bridge of Greece until it was blown up in 1949 during the Greek Civil War. Another 14th century bridge lies 1.5 km from Agorassia.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near Messenikolas there are ruins of the old watermill at Kriorema. The bridge of Tsiouka dates from the early 20th century and was blown up by resistance fighters during the Greek Civil War. There are also interesting old bridges on the road from Mitropoli to Messenikolas and the Monastery of Korona.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the area of Sipiada, this little town has 1000 people and used to be a trade centre. It played an important role during the Revolution of 1821 and then the German occupation. The bakery shop dates from 1911 and was designed by Evaristo de Chirico.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Old three-storey manor houses, which are decorated with carven ceilings and doors with colourful loopholes and frescos. The historic manor houses of Vriniotis-Fortounas, Koumpourelos, Kritikos, Vogiatzis and Koutmanis are characterized by carved ceilings, doors and frescoes.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near the community of Vlasi, this single-arched bridge features semicircular construction and built during the Ottoman domination.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
A picturesque village only 28 km from Volos, Milies has a historic school built in 1770. The words "psychis akos” (cure for the soul) are inscribed over the doorway, reminds us of the building's hisotry. The rich Library of the School had about 10,000 volumes at one time, most of which were lost during distasters.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The historic village of Petrilo is 30 kilometres southwest of Mouzaki at an altitude of 1,200 metres. In the area, the mill of Margari is found in Margareika along the banks of the Petriloti River, and it dates to the beginning of the 20th century.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Vathylakkos is a village in the municipality of Menelaides, 19 km from Kedros at an altitude of 800 metres. The village was founded in 1850 and features a stone watermill built in 1901 at Milos, 4 km north of the village. The mill is in good condition and belongs to the Church of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The bridge of Moschato, 1 km from the village and next to the newer bridge, crosses tributaries to the Pamisos River. The old bridge dates to the end of the 18th century, has a single arch and is built of limestone blocks. It is three meters high with a six-meter arch. It is in good condition.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
A footpath that begins at the central square of the village leads to Agia Kyriaki and guides the visitor to the remains of the old mill. In the central square, note the stone pillar under the plane tree from 1797. Within 10 minutes from Geroplina stands the Trikeri lighthouse.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Oxia (meaning beech tree) in the Mouzaki region has a century-old stone mill at Paliabela that is still in use. In Paleohori there is an old arched bridge that unites it with Oxia. Another old bridge is found at the site called Tsiligeika. Do visit also the 17th century Monastery of the Holy Trinity in the area.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Kriopigi (meaning Cold Spring) features an old watermill called Pakkes in the village which was built in 1890. The springs of Megali Vrissi (meaning Big Fountain) and Sikia (Fig Tree) are also worth a visit.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Loutro is an old village in the municipality of Menelaides, 24 km from Karditsa at an altitude of 247 metres. Within the village itself, the stone-built fountain of Paliovrisi is a local landmark.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Built by the bishops of Epirus, this bridge is another of great bridges in the area from a bygone era.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Built in 1514 by Saint Vissarion, this huge arch bridge is worth a tour. It passes over a roaring river, and was the only way of crossing for centuries. It’s a significant part of the region’s history.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Built in 1884, the railway station is noted for its aesthetics and it hosts a museum related to the history of the railway. At the entrance stands a marble statue of the goddess Athena created in 1884 by the Italian sculptor I. Previsan. In the lower part there's an embossed bust of King George I.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Kastania is a resort village at an altitude of 800 metres within a fir tree forest. Its area includes the northern slope of the peak of Tsouka on Mount Itamos. The old school is a well-known landmark. Younger monuments include a stone-built, single arch bridge called the Karra.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Kato Lehonia, the tower Kokosli dating from 1875 is of interest. Visit also the first silk processing factory and the neoclassical mansions of Hatzikyriakis and Kassiopoulos which are of special architectural merit.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
If you're in the area, ask where the bridge as Tragazia is within the eastern part of Argithea.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Amarantos (Itamo municipality) there is a stone bridge at the Glavas area, about 3 km east of the village towards Dafnospilia. Three picturesque fountains of Amarantos are Kalafouto, the historic spring at the peak of the village, Malagari with crystalline waters and Karali at the highest point of the village.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Filakti sits at the end of a long but beautiful country road 32 km from Karditsa. It lies on the steep slopes of the Voutsikaki Mountains at 1200 metres facing south. The village has many stone fountains such as those of Papadeiki, Xerovrisi and in the forest at the Ennea Nera (Fountain of 9 Waters).
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
These beautiful stone fountains are a wonderful place to take a break, sit down and admire your surroundings. Admire the craftsmanship and the beautiful stone design.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Constructed sometime between the 12th and 15th century, this is one of the oldest in the region and links together the banks of the Sofaditis river. It is a three-arched bridge with, interestingly, Persian influence.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Written also as Rentina and pronounced Redina, this traditional village has impressive stone-built fountains and noteworthy architecture. Ten kilometres from the village at the site of Dipotamos is the stone bridge of Kalogeropoulou.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the community of Karya, there's a stone bridge that was built in the 13th century joining the villages of eastern Argithea with the western part. This is the longest single-arched bridge in Thessaly!
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Drossato in the Athamanon area has a stonebuilt watermill about 150 years old. Village houses are stone built, dated 150-200 years. Stone shepherds' cottages can be seen in the Monoplati area. A wonderful stone arched bridge between Drossato and Tirologos from the Ottoman era is declared a national monument.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Kedros is a village at an altitude of 567 metres as we leave the Plain of Thessaly for the Agrafa Mountains. The centuries-old watermill, which is still in use today, is among the more notable landmarks of the village.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Therino is a traditional village 10 km northwest of Argithea, At an altitude of 870 metres. An old watermill dating from about 1870 still stands at a site called Goura.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
A cobblestone route joins Trikeri with Kottes takes you through olive groves that passes and old water wells. According to the myth, fairies used to live in these wells and the waters were enchanted. Young ladies who looked in there could foresee their fate regarding their future mate.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Lazarina in the Mouzaki district has the mansion of landowner Christos Zografos, built in 1986, representing the industrial heritage and economy of the area then. This included Greece's first sugar refinery and rice mill, parts of which can still be seen. There are efforts to incorporate these into an industrial museum.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Other Activities for Thessaly (Pelion, Meteora, etc.)
Share:
Tools:

Discover Greece by prefecture

Social
Media