There are attempts to restore a rare but relatively unknown ancient monument on the island known as the Aghia Marina tower. The tower lies 6.5 km southwest of the main village, Ioulis, a rare 4thcentury BC structure which has fallen into neglect and disrepair following a major collapse five years ago. The original square edifice, made of rock and marble, was 10 meters long on each side and 20 meters in height, with four levels and an interior staircase. It may have been part of a larger defensive complex. The tower stands next to the medieval monastery and church of Aghia Marina, strangely deserted since 1837.