Landmarks in Karditsa (Lake Plastira)


The village district of Petroto (meaning 'rock strewn') at 650 meters is 54 from Mouzaki, and 12 kilometres from Anthiro and Kali Komi. There are three stone bridges. The arched stone bridge at the Poupi locality dates from the 13th-14th centuries.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Agios Giorgos within the municipality of Mitropolis lies 12 kilometers from Karditsa at an altitude of 330 meters. The village has been declared a protected historic site by the Greek government.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
There are five old stone bridges in the area of Rahoula. The bridge at the gully of Sykias, about 6 km on the road between Rahoula and Kallithiro, is built of stone and has two arches. A large old single-arched stone bridge lies at the old road from Rahoula to Paleozoglopi at the site called Ktismata. There is a smaller, single arched stone bridge at a distance of 1.5 kilometres from the village at a site called Itia.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Ellinika in the Argithea region boasts the Paleokamara Korakonissiou, a stone, single arched bridge over the Arentio or Polineriti River, built in 1241. This bridge lies 5 km northwest of the village and is in good condition.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Pefkofito, meaning Planted Pine, is a beautiful village at 730 metres altitude within the Mouzaki region.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Fountoto(photo)(meaning Thick-Leafed) is a village within the municipality of Athamanon. It is 5 km from Petrilo at an altitude of 1,250 metres in the foothills of Mount Delidimi.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Spanning 35 meters in length, the bow bridge of Agrosia was built in line with traditional architecture and is worth a visit.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Ellinopirgos (Ithomi region) is marked as a site for cultural preservation and retains many examples of traditional architecture. Favourites of visitors are the stone balcony of Agios Eleftherios and the watermill of Hantzi, both built in the last century. Near the watermill, an unexplored cave is found called Hole of Lolo.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Neohori is a village spread on the hill slopes above Lake Plastira. It is 37 kilometres from Karditsa at an altitude of 900-1050 metres. The Botanical Gardens and tree nursery of Neohori are open on a daily basis and unveil ecosystem of the region. Enjoy linden trees, firs, water plants, herbs and ornamental plants.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Porti, six kilometres northwest of Mouzaki and 33 km from Karditsa, lies on an altitude of 650 metres. The village includes two watermills and an arched bridge over the river.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The Bridge of Katafili on the Ardanovo River was built in 1910 by an Italian engineer employing the locally renowned stonemasons from the Tzoumerka Mountains. The bridge has five arches (with a large central one) and spans a length of 50 meters, built from select local stone.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Vlassi in the municipality of Athamanon at an altitude of 1100 meters features impressive stone houses, four arched stone bridges and great views. The nearest to the village is called the Mezilo Bridge, located on the Tirologos area right before the village. The bridge is in good condition, and dates from around 1600.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Ano and Kato Ktimeni are jointly administered villages within the municipality of Tamassi. Its landmarks include the stone-built single arch bridge on the Draniotiko River, north-west of Kato Ktimeni and the double-arched bridge of Loutra.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Moschato, within the Plastiras municipality, one of the landmarks of interest is the stone-enhanced spring of Agios Prokopios, said to date from the end of the Byzantine era but rebuilt in 1905.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Thrapsimi in the municipality of Menelaides is 31 km from both Karditsa and Sofades at an altitude of 650 metres. It features the preserved house of the priest Elias Katsis, built in 1925, a three-story stone mansion built by masons from Epiros. There is also a folk museum in the village.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Kali Komi within the Argithea region features an old watermill(photo) that has been preserved, and was still in use until 1996. The village is also characterised by its stone-built houses more than a hundred years old.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Karia, 15 kilometres southwest of Argithea, is known for its 13th century bridge called Kamara. It is 3 km away from modern bridge of Agorassia and 800 metres from the highway at Vaitsa. It is 15.5 metres high with an open arch of 30 metres. It is built from limestone rocks on a foundation and in good condition.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
This bridge crosses the Acheloos river and features five arches. It was built in the early 20th century.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Dating from the Ottoman era, a konaki is a house built for a lord or Bey. One of these is in Prodromos, and is where the 13th Ephorate of Prehistoric & Classical Antiquities is housed.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Anthiro in the Argithea region boasts the remarkable bridge at Korako (Crow) built in1514 over the Aspropotamos River, uniting Thessaly with Epiros. This was the largest stone arch bridge of Greece until it was blown up in 1949 during the Greek Civil War. Another 14th century bridge lies 1.5 km from Agorassia.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near Messenikolas there are ruins of the old watermill at Kriorema. The bridge of Tsiouka dates from the early 20th century and was blown up by resistance fighters during the Greek Civil War. There are also interesting old bridges on the road from Mitropoli to Messenikolas and the Monastery of Korona.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near the community of Vlasi, this single-arched bridge features semicircular construction and built during the Ottoman domination.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The historic village of Petrilo is 30 kilometres southwest of Mouzaki at an altitude of 1,200 metres. In the area, the mill of Margari is found in Margareika along the banks of the Petriloti River, and it dates to the beginning of the 20th century.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Vathylakkos is a village in the municipality of Menelaides, 19 km from Kedros at an altitude of 800 metres. The village was founded in 1850 and features a stone watermill built in 1901 at Milos, 4 km north of the village. The mill is in good condition and belongs to the Church of the Ascension of the Holy Virgin.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The bridge of Moschato, 1 km from the village and next to the newer bridge, crosses tributaries to the Pamisos River. The old bridge dates to the end of the 18th century, has a single arch and is built of limestone blocks. It is three meters high with a six-meter arch. It is in good condition.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Oxia (meaning beech tree) in the Mouzaki region has a century-old stone mill at Paliabela that is still in use. In Paleohori there is an old arched bridge that unites it with Oxia. Another old bridge is found at the site called Tsiligeika. Do visit also the 17th century Monastery of the Holy Trinity in the area.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Kriopigi (meaning Cold Spring) features an old watermill called Pakkes in the village which was built in 1890. The springs of Megali Vrissi (meaning Big Fountain) and Sikia (Fig Tree) are also worth a visit.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Loutro is an old village in the municipality of Menelaides, 24 km from Karditsa at an altitude of 247 metres. Within the village itself, the stone-built fountain of Paliovrisi is a local landmark.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Built by the bishops of Epirus, this bridge is another of great bridges in the area from a bygone era.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Kastania is a resort village at an altitude of 800 metres within a fir tree forest. Its area includes the northern slope of the peak of Tsouka on Mount Itamos. The old school is a well-known landmark. Younger monuments include a stone-built, single arch bridge called the Karra.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
If you're in the area, ask where the bridge as Tragazia is within the eastern part of Argithea.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Amarantos (Itamo municipality) there is a stone bridge at the Glavas area, about 3 km east of the village towards Dafnospilia. Three picturesque fountains of Amarantos are Kalafouto, the historic spring at the peak of the village, Malagari with crystalline waters and Karali at the highest point of the village.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The village of Filakti sits at the end of a long but beautiful country road 32 km from Karditsa. It lies on the steep slopes of the Voutsikaki Mountains at 1200 metres facing south. The village has many stone fountains such as those of Papadeiki, Xerovrisi and in the forest at the Ennea Nera (Fountain of 9 Waters).
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Constructed sometime between the 12th and 15th century, this is one of the oldest in the region and links together the banks of the Sofaditis river. It is a three-arched bridge with, interestingly, Persian influence.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Written also as Rentina and pronounced Redina, this traditional village has impressive stone-built fountains and noteworthy architecture. Ten kilometres from the village at the site of Dipotamos is the stone bridge of Kalogeropoulou.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the community of Karya, there's a stone bridge that was built in the 13th century joining the villages of eastern Argithea with the western part. This is the longest single-arched bridge in Thessaly!
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Drossato in the Athamanon area has a stonebuilt watermill about 150 years old. Village houses are stone built, dated 150-200 years. Stone shepherds' cottages can be seen in the Monoplati area. A wonderful stone arched bridge between Drossato and Tirologos from the Ottoman era is declared a national monument.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Kedros is a village at an altitude of 567 metres as we leave the Plain of Thessaly for the Agrafa Mountains. The centuries-old watermill, which is still in use today, is among the more notable landmarks of the village.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Therino is a traditional village 10 km northwest of Argithea, At an altitude of 870 metres. An old watermill dating from about 1870 still stands at a site called Goura.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Lazarina in the Mouzaki district has the mansion of landowner Christos Zografos, built in 1986, representing the industrial heritage and economy of the area then. This included Greece's first sugar refinery and rice mill, parts of which can still be seen. There are efforts to incorporate these into an industrial museum.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Other Activities for Karditsa (Lake Plastira)
Share:
Tools:

Discover Greece by prefecture

Social
Media