Church/Monastery in Athens region


Located off Lysicratous street on Agias Aikaterinis square, this 11th c. church is beautifully restored. The octagonal dome and central apse are from the original structure while the rest was added later on. The ruins nearby testify to an earlier pre-Christian temple.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the Anafiotika district of Plaka, the local inhabitants who came from Anafi built the church on a rocky spur of the Acropolis, complete with a tiny courtyard. It is best viewed from climbing up the steps on the left side of the church.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Off Erechtehos street on Erotokritou street, was built anywhere between the 9th-12th c. following a cross-in-square plan. In 1867 General Morosini of the venetians used the area in front of the church to bombard the Acropolis which helped destroy it.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The largest remaining Byzantine era (11th c.) church in Athens, corner of Prytaneiou and Epicharmou streets. Built by the grandson of Emperor Michael I Rangavas on the site of an ancient temple. Its ringing bells signalled the end of Ottoman and German occupations.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Plaka on the corner of Sotirias Aliberti and Thrasyvoulou streets, the Koimesis Theotokou church or Panagia Chrysokastriotissa is tied to a miracle when in 1456 women and children hiding from invading Ottomans in the Acropolis escaped to the church and were saved.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Between Prytaneiou and Erotokritou streets, also known as the Church of Holy Sepulchre, built on an even earlier church from the 6th century. Rebuilt in 1651 with a monastery but damaged in later troubles. Officially belongs to the Patriarchate of Jerusalem.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Greek this church is Agios Nikolaos tou Ftochokomeiou, built in 1876 with interesting irregular stonework done in 'neo-byzantine style'. It lies across from the War Museum and near the British Embassy, accessed from the Evangelismos Metro.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Other Activities for Athens region
Share:
Tools:

Discover Greece by prefecture

Social
Media