Castles/Forts in Peloponnese


Also known as the Fishermen's Citadel, part of Alies has sunk underwater. The walls were 186 meters long and 2.5 meters wide, reinforced with circular and square towers.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Attractively obvious from the lovely town of Nafplion, this is a fortified little island in the town's gulf built by the Venetians somewhere between 1390 and 1540.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the south of the town of Koroni lies the castle of Koroni, which was original a simple structure. It evolved into a Byzantine fort that was consequently invaded by the Franks during the 4th crusade, around 1205.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
There are remains of the Castle of Akova some 3.5 kilometres outside Vyziki. The castle represents a barony founded in the 13th century. It was built by Baron Gautier de Rosieres on more ancient ruins, and changed hands from the Franks to the Byzantines to the Venetians and the Ottomans. Only a few parts of the wall and tower remain intact, but the magic that surrounds the area is still there.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The castle of Kalamata is supposed to be on the site where the palace of Ortilochos of Pharai and subsequently of Diocles was, between 1580 and 1120 BC. The current medieval castle was built much later by the Knight and historian Geoffrey of Villehardouin in 1205 AD.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
On the southernmost tip of the western side of the Peloponnese lies the impressive castle of Methoni, with evidence of fortifications dating back to the 7th century BC.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Built sometime between 1280 and 1310, the remains of this castle on the outskirts of Kalavrita lie at an altitude of 1100 meters, surrounded by many legends and wars.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The castles of Mystras should be seen by every visitor to the area. Across the valley from Mystras is the magical Yeraki, where there is a fortress built as early as 1209 by Frankish baron Guy de Nivellet.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Considered one of the best preserved castles within the Peloponnese, the Chlemoutsi Castle (also known as the Clermont or Tomese castle) was built sometime around 1220.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: +30 26230 92661             Email: N/A
This fortress has had an illustrious history and changed hands many times: Ottoman Sultan Bayezit II built the initial fortification at Rio in 1499. It fell to the Spaniards in 1532, but was then reclaimed by the Ottomans.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the picturesque village of Karitena lies a Frankish castle since the days when the Franks took over the region from the Byzantines, around 1209. Under the Franks the town was given to Hugo de la Bruyeres, who built the castle on a hilltop in 1245 and gave it to his son Geoffrey.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Serenely lying on a hill, the Kazarma Citadel or Acropolis is located on the 15th kilometre of the Nafplio-Epidaurus highway.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
A living, breathing fort town is Monemvasia, linked to the Peloponnese mainland by a causeway. Originally it was built in the 6th century, changing hands between Ottomans and Venetians many times with Byzantine churches in its midst.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
At 216 meters above sea level lies the majestic castle of Palamidi overlooking Nauplio. It was built by the Venetians during their second occupation of the area, i.e. between 1686 and 1715.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
If you're a fairly good swimmer, this is one fort that's for you. It lies on an islet off the coast, ready to be explored.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Remains of a byzantine castle, destroyed in 1460, lie in on the hill of Mouchli near the village of Agiorgitika. The castle city housed the church of Panagia Mouchliotissa of the 13th century. Some columns of the church still remain.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Gythio (or Gythion) the castle of Goulades stands on Mavrovounio (Black Mountain). On the southwest side of Gythio near Marathea there's the 13th century castle of Passavas, built on the ancient site of Las. Mystras, dubbed as a world-heritage UNESCO site, also has remains of a fortress and other buildings.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
The impressive castle of Kelafa north of Aeropoli and to the south of Itilo was constructed by the Ottomans in 1670, seized 15 years by the locals with the help of the Venetians. There are remains of large walls and two of four towers that existed, as well as buildings parts and a canon (originally 58) for defence.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Nobody is sure when the castle was built, but there are elements of Mycenaean architecture in its walls. Four turrets and restorations took place during Byzantine years, although only one turret remains today. An one time the castle had an acropolis overlooking the sea.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Above the town of Molaon within the municipality by the same name lies a small fort built by the Franks, Turks or Byzantines, depending on who you talk to.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Korakovouni, lying among some venerable plane trees are the remains of a Venetian castle.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Not far from Yefira ('bridge' over the Alfeos river) is the medieval settlement of Leontari. Ruins of the town's caslte are found on the hill. Leontari was an important 14th century town and the seat of the Despots of the Morea (Peloponnese).
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In the village of Sarantameri lie the remains of the Paleologos castle or palace, one of the last vestiges of this Byzantine dynasty.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
At an elevation of 1,050 meters lies the village of Piana above the verdant valley of Falantho where the Elisson or Davia river runs. There are remains of a medieval castle there, are well as remains from the ancient city of Dipaea.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near Katakolo in the municipality of Pyrgos there are remains of castle today called Pontikokastro (meaning Mouse Castle), built by the Villhardouins hundreds of years ago.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: +30 26213 62411             Email: N/A
Medieval Tavia, built at the foot of Mount Mainalo. featured a castle which today lies in ruins. Various buildings of this medieval town, including the castle towers and two gates, still remain.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
In Kato Samiko there are remains of an Ottoman tower built by Ibrahim Pasha in 1826.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Near the resort village of Tropaia on the slopes of Ayios Giorgos there are well preserved remains of a medieval castle, with three towers, dating from the Frankish period.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
There are only remains today of the Venetian Castle which once stood in Nisi, beside the resort town of Paralio Astros.
Photos: (0)                     Phone: N/A             Email: N/A
Sub Destinations for Peloponnese
Other Activities for Peloponnese
Share:
Tools:

Discover Greece by prefecture

Social
Media